News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Lost Files

Started by Highlander, August 03, 2014, 04:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Old puter went tits up so bit the bullet & got new one.
Now the problem
Old one had XP installed & Microsoft Office
New One has Windows 7 & Works.

Some of my folders I can not display. just gobblegook on the screen.
I guess it is because I created some of then then in Word & because I do not have it that is the problem  Yes/NO
Is there anyway I can sort this problem simply?
Also my webpage was created in Microsoft Frontpage 2000 but Windows 7 does nor recognise this now. I have downloaded Windows Expression, Microsofts latest version so I may be able to use that. I am told , do not know if info reliable that Frontpage 2002 will load on 7 but I can not find a reliable download for it. Does anyone have a disc to buy for that one maybe
I see things like File Association but do not know how that works. I am a bit wary of downloading of the net. I do not mind paying if need be but a point in the right direction would help guys.
thanks in advance guys.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Fishtales

Transfer the old hard drive with xp on it to the new computer and dual boot it. When you need the old programs boot into XP on the old drive.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Highlander

If only I could Sandy old puter including hard drive have been destroyed. The transfer was done by  a. n. other  & most things are like pictures are all there there but not the things I have mentioned although there I guess can not open because it can not recognise the programme that created it.
I know stupid me I should have checked.
Mainly some stories I have written but would be nice to retrieve them for posterity.

Alan

Nemo me impune lacessit

Inchlaggan

I still have an XP laptop and a Vista PC. I have the discs for Word 2000 and the Vista PC has Frontpage 2003 on it (I think).
Three options
Trust me with your files and I'll open and convert them.
Bring them here and do it yourself.
Borrow the machines.

'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Mick.Y

Would downloading openoffice not do the trick as it's a free version of all the programmes on microsoft office?

aliferste

Quote from: Mick.Y on August 03, 2014, 05:16:06 PM
Would downloading openoffice not do the trick as it's a free version of all the programmes on microsoft office?

I would have thought this was the easiest method. Also you can get converters for old versions of word. 

Highlander

Thanks guys Open Office seems to have done the trick.

Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Open Office is great and free!  I stopped using Microsoft Office products years ago.

Go To Front Page