News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Mini PC

Started by arawa, December 17, 2017, 06:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arawa

If anyone is looking for a second computer, or even a first one for light work, I doubt if you can do better than this.
https://www.ebuyer.com/810799-chillblast-micro-system-cbfuswap

I wanted something to run an always-on pseudo mail server. For £99 this micro pc (about the size of a cd case) comes with Win 10 pro which when connected to my router updated automatically to the latest Creators Edition. Although it only has 2gb of memory and a 32gb eMMC, I have loaded it with a heavyweight anti-virus program (Kaspersky full edition), Microsoft onedrive and the entire Microsoft Office Suite which together with the OS takes up about up half the "hard disk"; a 32gb SD card and a 64gb usb 3.0 pendrive offer additional storage that I will not actually need. It does not come with decent instructions but I just connected everything up, including HDMI to monitor, WiFi to router and a Bluetooth keyboard, and it all just worked.
Email, Word and internet  browsing are absolutely usable and, to be frank, with these applications there is no noticeable difference in speed to my i5 desktop. So far, it has been running for 72 hours continuously doing everything I want. Very impressed.

aliferste

That looks like a great wee gadget to hook up to to the TV !

arawa

Quote from: aliferste on December 17, 2017, 10:38:11 PM
That looks like a great wee gadget to hook up to to the TV !
It comes with a VESA attachment to fit to the back of most TVs. It is driving a full HD monitor perfectly. No fan so it is silent, and does not even get warm.  I think it draws about 20W max (if my electrical arithmetic is correct!).

arawa

Quote from: claretbumble on December 21, 2017, 12:06:37 PM
Can I be really stupid, and tech-illiterate, and ask why you would wire it up to your TV? What does it bring that a Smart TV doesn't have?
Not stupid at all as I did not know either.
It would make a dumb TV smart (according to my IT professional son who is standing behind me!) but a Firestick or Chromecast would do the same job. On a smart TV it could play your own, or downloaded (including pirated  :shock:), videos or display photos from your picture library. I am not doing any of those things but using it as an always-on "mail server".

arawa

Quote from: claretbumble on December 21, 2017, 04:22:04 PM

Might bump into you in the Anderson at Hogmanay? I'll be in the old ancestral homeland for a couple of days :-)
PM sent.

Go To Front Page