News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hofland

Started by Traditionalist, October 28, 2011, 09:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionalist

( Unfortunately the plates are missing from my copy of this book. I have seen them, and they are quite good engravings. I have black and white versions only, so have not posted them here). Various scans are available from the Book link in the reference index. Hofland published the first known version of the "Gold Ribbed hare´s Ear". Born: 1777 in Worsot Died: 3 January 1843 Most famous as a painter. The engravings in the book are from his original drawings and paintings. Many of his works are displayed in a number of museums etc. MC

ARTIFICIAL FLIES. From "The British Angler´s Manual" T.C.Hofland 1839

A COMPLETE fly-fisher will make his own flies, and will find much amusement in the practice of this delicate art. It will be necessary that he should provide himself with the following materials, to enable him to imitate the flies hereafter described.

HOOKS.
London, Kirby-sneck, and Limerick hooks, of all sizes. Of these, the Limerick hook is in the greatest general estimation ; but, in the north of England, the Kirby-sneck hook is preferred for small hackle flies.

FEATHERS.
Cocks' and hens' hackles, of all colours ; those chiefly in use, are red, ginger, coch-a- bonddu, black, dun, olive, grizzle, and white ; the latter for dying yellow, &c. Peacock's herl, coppery coloured, green, and brown. Black ostrich's herl. Gallino fowls' spotted feathers. The feathers of the turkey, the grouse, ptarmigan, pheasant (cock and hen), woodcock, snipe, dotteril, landrail, starling, golden plover or peewit, wild mallard, bustard, sea swallow, wren, jay, blackbird, throstle, blue pigeon, argus and silver pheasant. Water rat's, fur, mole's fur, and hare's ear. Mohair, dyed, of all colours. Fine French sewing silk, of all colours. Flos silk, of all colours. German wool, of all colours. Gold and silver twist. Silk twist; cobblers' and bees' wax. A pair of pliers, a pair of fine-pointed scissors, a small hand slide-vice, and a fine-pointed strong dubbing- needle. Silkworm gut, from the finest to the strongest, and salmon gut, single and twisted. Lengths of the white and sorrel hairs of stallions' tails.

HOW TO MAKE AN ARTIFICIAL FLY.
It has been said, by some writers, that all instructions for making flies are useless, and that nothing less than ocular demonstration will be of any service ; yet I cannot but think that the following directions, for which I am indebted to my friend, Captain Richardson, are so simple and clear, that strict attention to them, and a little practice, will enable the tyro to produce a tolerably well-made fly. There are several modes adopted in making the artificialfly ; one is, to tie the wings on to the hook, in the natural position, in the first instance ; another method is, to place the feathers for the wings in a reverse position, in the first instance, and naturally afterwards ; and the third and last way, is to tie the wings on the hook, after the body is made, instead of beginning the fly with them.

The most expeditious way to complete a number of flies, is, to have every necessary material arranged immediately under your eye, and every article separate and distinct ; all the hooks, gut, or hair, wings, hackles, dubbing, silk, and wax, ready assorted, and prepared for instant use. The hooks require to be sized for your different flies ; the gut requires the most careful examination and adjustment ; the hackles have to be stripped, and the dubbing to be well mixed; the silk assorted, and to be of the finest texture ; and the wings to be tied the length of the hook they are to be fastened to, in order that the fibres of the feather may be all brought into the small compass of the hook. This previous trouble not only saves time, but ensures a degree of neatness that is otherwise almost unattainable.

The tying of the wings is thus performed:—A piece of well-waxed silk is laid in a noose on the fore finger of the left hand, the wings, or feathers, are put on the under part of the noose, and at the distance of the length of the wing required ; the thumb is then applied closely to the feather, and with one end of the noose in the mouth, and the other in the right hand, the noose is drawn quite tight, and the silk is then cut within an inch of the knot, to leave a handle by which to hold the wing. If the thumb is not closely pressed, the feathers will be pulled away.

FIRST METHOD.
How to make the fly with the wings in the natural position, in the first instance. Hold the hook by the bend, with the point downwards, between the fore finger and thumb of the left hand; with your waxed silk in your right hand give one or two turns round the bare hook, about midway ; lay the end of the gut along the upper side of the hook (if tied on the under side, the fly will not swim true, but continually revolve); wrap the silk firmly, until you get within a few turns of the top ; you then take the wings, lay them along the shank with the right hand, and hold them firmly in their place to the hook with the left hand. Next, tie the feather tightly at the point of contact, with two or three turns ; cut off the superfluous ends of the feather, and, tying the head of the fly very firmly, you carry the silk round the gut, beyond the head, that the end of the hook may not chafe, or cut away the gut; then retrace the silk, until you come to the tying on of the wings. Divide the wings equally, and carry the silk through the division alternately, two or three times, to keep the wings distinct from each other.

Now prepare the hackle, by drawing back the fibres, and by having two or three less on the but, on the side of the feather that comes next to the hook, that it may revolve without twisting away. Tie the but-end of the hackle close to the wings, having its upper, or dark side, to the head of the fly. The Scotch reverse this, and tie the hackle with its under side to the head ; and likewise, strip the fibres entirely off that side which touches the hook. Take the dubbing between the fore finger and the thumb of the right hand, twist it very thinly about your silk, and carry it round the hook as far as you intend the hackle or legs to be carried, and hold it between the fore finger and thumb of the left hand, or fasten it. Then, with your pliers, carry the hackle round the hook, close under the wings, and down to where you have brought your silk, and dubbing, then continue to finish your body, by carrying over the end of the hackle; and when you have made the body of sufficient length, fasten off, by bringing the silk twice or thrice loosely round the hook, and passing the end through the coils, to make all tight. Some finish the body of this fly thus :when the hackle is fastened, after it has made the legs of the fly, the bare silk is carried to the end of the intended body ; dubbing is then carried up to the legs, and there fastened.

SECOND METHOD. This manner of proceeding differs from the first in the fixing on of the wings. When you have fastened the gut and hook together, to the point where the wings are to be tied, apply the wings to the hook, .with the but of the feather lying uppermost; when the wings are well fastened, pull them back into the natural position ; and when the head of the fly is finished, pass the silk alternately through the wings; and, having your silk well tied to the roots of the wings (and not over the roots), the fly is to be completed as in the first method, having cut off the roots of the feather.

THIRD METHOD. This includes the Irish manner of tying flies, and is the plan generally adopted in the tackle shops. There are two ways of finishing a fly by the head. If the wings are to be reversed, or turned back, they are to be tied to the hook first, but not immediately turned back ; the silk is carried to the tail of the fly, when the dubbing is carried round the hook, until the putting on of the hackle ; the hackle is tied by the point, and not by the but; having finished the body, twist on the hackle close up to the wings, and fasten by one or two loops ; then divide the wings, and pass the silk between them, pulling them back to their proper position, and finishing the head : fasten off by one or two loops. The Irish tie over the roots of the wings, which interfere with their action in the water, and render them lifeless. If the wings are to be placed at once in their natural position, and the fly to be finished at the head, the gut must be tied on the hook, beginning near the head, and finishing at the tail ; then twist on the body up to the legs, fasten on the hackle by the point, finish the body, then the legs, and then apply and fasten the wings ; and, when properly divided, cut off the but-ends, finish the head, and fasten off your silk by one or two loops. Thus concludes the method of making the winged fly

HOW TO MAKE THE PALMER, OR HACKLE-FLY.
The making of the palmer, or hackle-fly, with the cock or hen's feathers, is simply as described in the forenamed methods, by twisting on the legs and body, taking care that the hackle has fibres as long as, or rather longer than, the hook it is to be twisted upon. But in making hackle-flies with birds' feathers, such as those of the snipe, dotteril, &c., the feather is prepared by stripping off the superfluous parts at the but-end, then drawing back a sufficient quantity of fibre to make the fly : take the feather by the root and point, with both hands (having its outside uppermost), and put the whole of the fibres into your mouth, and wet them, that they may adhere together, back to back. When the gut is fastened to the hook, you must tie on the feather near to the head of the hook, and the feather may be tied either at the but-end or the point; then twist the feather twice or thrice round the hook, and fasten it by one or more loops ; the fibres of the feather will then lie the reverse way. Cut off the superfluous part of the feather that remains after tying, and twist on the body, of the required length; fasten by two loops, draw down the fibres of the feather to the bend, and the fly is finished. The fashion of the day is to call this kind of hackle, buzz. If tinsel, or gold, or silver twist, be required for the body of the fly, it must be tied on after the hackle, but carried round the body before the hackle makes the legs.

If the tinsel be required only at the tail of the fly, it must be tied on immediately after the gut and hook are put together ; the hackle next, then the body, &c. This method of making a hackle-fly is followed in Westmoreland and Cumberland, where very few winged flies are used. The following list of artificial flies contains thirty- nine in number ; each fly is engraved, numbered, and described ; so that those who do not make their own flies, may have them made at any of the tackle shops in London, by giving the description attached to each number. I purpose also to give a second list of flies, not engraved, which have been recommended to me by experienced anglers, though, I think, my first list, with certain modifications to be hereafter named, will be sufficient for any part of the United Kingdom.

Previously to my commencing my list, I wish to offer, to my younger brothers of the angle, a few general remarks on artificial flies, that my list may be better understood ; and, consequently, become more efficient. In the first place, I have avoided the usual plan of giving a list of flies for each particular month, as long experience has taught me, that the most killing flies used in different parts of the kingdom, will take fish through the whole season. For instance, the variously coloured duns serve from March to September, somewhat changing their colour and size as the season advances, and the streams become lower and brighter. The same may be said of the palmers—the soldier palmer, No. 28 ; and the black palmer, No. 27; one or the other of them being, by some fly-fishers, used as a drop all the season through. The green and grey drake are the only flies that, I believe, can be strictly confined to one season, i. e. June; but even the grey drake will answer, in July and August, for sea trout. The flies, however, described from No. 1 to No. 11, are those most employed during the spring season.

The choice of your fly must depend much upon the nature of the water you fish in, and the state of the weather ; if the water be full, and somewhat coloured, your flies may be of the larger and darker kind ; if, on the contrary, the water should be low and clear, and the day bright, your fly should be dressed accordingly, i. e. it should be pale in colour, and spare in the dressing. The two engraved palmers are dressed on No. 8 hooks, and are intended for large trout, or a coloured water ; but for small trout, and bright water, these flies may bedressed on No. 9 or No. 10 hooks ; and the same may be said of other large flies in the following list. I shall here take an opportunity of making some observations on what appears to me to be a very general mistake with writers on fly-fishing—in speaking of the palmer, and hackle-fly, as one and the same fly; whereas, the palmer is an imitation of the hairy caterpillar, made artificially, with a long, full body, having the hackle carried over it, from one end to the other; but the hackle-fly, properly so called, is an imitation of a winged fly, made in a peculiar manner, the body being made, generally, very spare, mostly of silk, or silk and fur, and the hackle is not passed over the body as in the palmer. By referring to the engraving of the soldier- palmer, No. 28, and the hackle-flies, Nos. 37, 38, and 39, my readers will immediately perceive the difference to which I allude.

These hackle, or buzz-flies, are much more in use than winged flies, in Devonshire, Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Westmoreland, and Cumberland, where they are dressed on Kirby-sneck hooks; and when the streams are very bright and small, they are dressed on the smallest hooks, say 11, 12, and 13; and of these hackles, the favourites are the wren, the grouse, the dotteril, the different coloured duns, the partridge, and the red and black cock's hackle.

I have before remarked, that, in many of the lakes of the United Kingdom, winged flies answer better than the hackle, and have attempted to give some reasons for it; but I am at a loss to account for the great preference given to winged flies in the neighbourhood of London and the rivers of Hampshire. My own practice, when fishing in these rivers, has been, generally, to use a winged fly for the stretcher, and a hackle-fly, or small, palmer, for the drop.

A LIST OF ARTIFICIAL FLIES.
The following four plates contain representations of the flies in most general use.

PLATE I.
NO. 1. THE CHANTREY.
This fly is a great favourite with Sir Francis Chantrey, our celebrated sculptor, who is a keen and skilful brother of the angle, and a member of the Stockbridge Club ; where, from his very general use of this fly, it has been called " the Chantrey," and, from the manner in which it is dressed, I have no doubt that it is an excellent killer.

IMITATION.
Body. Copper-coloured peacock's herl, ribbed with gold twist.
Legs. A black hackle.
Wings. Partridge's, or brown hen's feather, or pheasant's tail.
Hook. No. 9, or No. 10.

NO. 2. HOFLAND'S FANCY.
This fly, from its having been my great favourite for many years, has, by my friends, been named as above ; and as I am convinced of its excellence, as a general fly, 1 am content to adopt it. Mr. Willingham, formerly of the Strand, sold great numbers of them under this name. I have had sport with it in most parts of England ; but particularly in the vicinity of London, in Hampshire, and when fishing in the Wandle, the Colne, the Cray, or the Dart. I rarely use any other fly as a stretcher. I have killed trout with this fly, at Farningham, when the May-fly has been strong on the water, and the fish have refused any other that I could offer. It may be used after sunset, with success, in any part of the kingdom, and in any season.

IMITATION.
Body. Reddish dark brown silk.
Legs. Red hackle.
Wings. Woodcock's wing.
Tail. Two or three strands of a red hackle.
Hook. No. 10.

NO. 3. MARCH-BROWN.
This fly is also called the dun drake, and is said to change to the great red spinner ; it appears about the latter end of March, and is eagerly taken by the trout. Mr. Ronalds, the author of an excellent work, the " Fly- fisher's Entomology," says, "it continues in season till the beginning of May," and he does not recommend its use beyond that time ; but experience has taught me, that, with certain modifications in size and dressing, it will be found a very killing fly, in many of the lakes in Wales, from March to September.

IMITATION.
Body. Fur of the hare's ear, ribbed with olive silk.
Legs. Partridge hackle.
Wings. Tail feather of the partridge.
Tail. Two or three strands of the partridge feather.
Hook. No. 8, or No. 9.

NO. 4. BLUE DUN.
This is an early fly, appearing in March, and is generally upon the water in dark, windy days. Later in the season, the duns appear of another colour ; but, in some shape or other, they may be used with success from March to October.

IMITATION.
Body. Dubbed with water-rat's fur, and ribbed with yellow silk.
Legs. A dun hen's hackle.
Wings. From the feather of the starling's wing.
Tail. Two strands of a grizzle cock's hackle.
Hook. No. 10.

NO. 5. FOR CARSHALTON AND THE TEST.
I am not acquainted with a proper name for this fly, but it is much used at Carshalton, and on the Test in Hampshire, and is a well-dressed fly, likely to kill in other streams.

IMITATION.
Body. Black silk, ribbed with silver twist.
Legs. A dark grizzle hackle.
Wings. The dark feather of the starling's wing,
made spare and short.
Hook. No. 10.

NO. 6. CARSHALTON COCK-TAIL.
This is a dun fly, and made with peculiar neatness in the London tackle shops, and will be found a good killer in other streams as well as the Wandle.

IMITATION.
Body. Light blue fur.
Legs. Dark dun hackle.
Wings. The inside feather of a teal's wing.
Tail. Two fibres of a white cock's hackle.
Hook. No. 9, or No. 10.

NO. 7. THE PALE YELLOW DUN.
This is an excellent fly, from April to the end of the season. Too much cannot be said in its praise, and the angler should never leave his home without this killing fly.

IMITATION.
Body. Yellow mohair, or Martin's pale yellow fur, tied with yellow silk.
Wings. The lightest part of a feather from a young starling's wing.
Hook. No. 12.

NO. 8. THE ORANGE DUN.
This is another fly in much request on the Test and other southern streams.

IMITATION.
Body. Red squirrel's fur, ribbed with gold thread.
Legs. Red hackle.
Wings. From the starling's wing.
Tail. Two fibres of red cock's hackle.
Hook. No. 9.

NO. 9. THE COACHMAN.
I am unacquainted with the origin of this curiously named fly, neither have I any practical knowledge of its merits ; but, as it cannot have acquired an established reputation without cause, I have introduced it.

IMITATION.
Body. Copper-coloured peacock's herl.
Legs. Red hackle.
Wings. From the landrail.
Hook. No. 8.

NO. 10. COW-DUNG FLY.
This fly is in season throughout the year, and is, at times, very abundant on the water ; it is used chiefly in dark, windy weather.

IMITATION. Body. Dull lemon-coloured mohair.
Legs. Red hackle.
Wings. From feathers of the landrail, or starling's wing.
Hook. No. 8.

THE HARE'S EAR DUN.
This is a killing fly, and in great favour with the Hampshire fishermen.

IMITATION.
Body. The fur of the hare's ear.
Wings. The feather from a starling's wing.
Tail. Two fibres of the brown feather from a starling's wing.
Hook. No. 10. Some persons dress this fly without the whisk, or tail.

PLATE II.
NO. 12. EDMONDSON'S WELSH FLY.
This fly is constantly used in Wales, by the skilful fly-fisher whose name it bears, Mr. John Edmondson, of Liverpool. It may be depended upon as a killing fly in most of the large lakes and rivers of Wales, and I feel assured, from the manner in which it is dressed, that it would answer for many of the lakes of England, Scotland, and Ireland.

IMITATION.
Body. Dull orange mohair.
Legs. The back feather of a partridge.
Wings. The feather from a woodcock's wing, or the tail of a hen grouse.
Hook. No. 8.

NO. 13. THE KINGDOM, OR KINDOV.
This is another well-dressed fly, much in use in the Hampshire streams, and is a good general fly also, as most woodcock-winged flies are.

IMITATION.
Body. Pale yellow silk, ribbed with crimson silk.
Legs. Black hackle.
Wings. The feather of a woodcock's wing.
Hook. No. 9.

NO. 14. BROWN SHINER.
This is a hackle-fly, and is a favourite with Welsh anglers; it is an excellent fly, also, for the rivers and lakes of Cumberland. If used for a small, bright stream, it may be dressed on a smaller hook. If on a full, dark water, or a lake, on a dull, windy day, it may be dressed
on a larger hook.

IMITATION.
Body. Peacock's herl, twisted spare, with a grouse- hackle over it.

NO. 15. GRAVEL, OR SPIDER FLY.
This fly appears towards the latter end of April; it is not found in every water, but, where it is met with, it may be fished with all day, and the trout take it freely.

IMITATION.
Body. Water-rat's fur.
Legs. Black hackle.
Wings. The feather from the rump of a partridge.
Hook. No. 10, or 11.
It may also be made with a dark dun hackle, which 1 prefer, instead of the partridge feather.

NO. 16. THE IRON BLUE.
This small fly is in season from April till July, and may be again used in September and October.
IMITATION.
Body. The fur of the water-rat.
Legs. A light dun hackle.
Wings. The tail feather of a tomn-tit, or of an American robin.
Hook. No. 12, or 13.

NO. 17. THE GREAT RED SPINNER,
Is said to be changed from the dun drake, or March brown, and may be used as an evening fly during the whole summer season.

IMITATION.
Body. Hog's wool, red and brown, mixed, ribbed with gold twist.
Legs. Bright red cock's hackle.
Wings. The light feather of the starling's wing.
Tail. Three strands of a red cock's hackle.
Hook. No. 7.

NO. 18. BLACK GNAT.
These little insects, at times, skim over the water in vast quantities, and they are eagerly devoured by the trout. They are also a capital fly for dace, and may be used from April to the end of the season.

IMITATION.
Body. Black hackle, or ostrich herl, tied with black silk.
Wings. The feather from a starling's wing.
Hook. No. 13.

NO. 19. WREN TAIL.
This little fly is an excellent killer in small, bright streams, and is in great favour in the northern counties ; it is always dressed as a hackle-fly.

IMITATION.
Body- Dark orange silk, with wings and legs of a wren's tail. Although the feathers of a wren's tail cannot be properly called hackles, they are here used as such, and this remark will apply to other feathers similarly employed.

Hook. No. 12.
NO. 20. THE BRACKEN CLOCK.
Is a kind of beetle, and, in some districts, is so numerous in the month of June, that the fish become glutted with them before the best of the fishing season Some of the London tackle shops sell a very close imitation of this fly, but it falls so heavy on the water, that I prefer the old way of dressing it. If made upon a large hook, and like the engraved specimen, it will be found an excellent fly for Loch Awe, and other lakes in Scotland.

IMITATION.
Body. Peacock's herl, dressed full, and tied with purple silk.
Wings. Feather of a pheasant's breast.
Hook. No. 9 or 10 ; for lake fishing, No. 6 or 7.

NO. 21. RED ANT.
This is the small red ant, and there is another of the same size, called the black ant, and two others, named the large black and red ants. These flies generally appear late in the season, and if the angler be ready when they first appear, he may expect great sport with them. I have given but one specimen, but by substituting ostrich herl for peacock's herl, and a black hackle instead of a red one, the black ant may be imitated.

IMITATION.
Body. Peacock's herl, made full at the tail, and spare towards the head.
Legs. Red or ginger cock's hackle.
Wings. From the light feather of the starling's wing.
Hook. No. 9, or No. 10.

NO. 22. THE SAND FLY.
This fly is strongly recommended by Mr. Bainbridge, in his " Fly-fisher's Guide," who says it is equally good for trout, or grayling, from April to the end of September ; and the same, or a very similar fly, is much used in Hampshire, on the Test, &c. If dressed as a hackle, on a No. 12 hook, it will be found a capital October fly for grayling.

IMITATION.
Body. The fur from a hare's neck, twisted round silk of the same colour.
Legs. A ginger hen's hackle.
Wings. The feather from the landrail's wing.
Hook. No. 9.

PLATE III.
NO. 23. THE STONE FLY,
Is one of the larger kind of flies, and appears in April; it is used in windy weather, and is a good fly in May and June, if used very early in the morning, or very late in the evening. It varies very much in colour, according to the season.

IMITATION.
Body. Fur of hare's ear, mixed with brown and yellow mohair, and ribbed with yellow silk. The yellow colour towards the tail.
Legs. A brownish red hackle.
Wings. The dark feather of the mallard's wing.
Tail. Two or three fibres of the mottled feather of a partridge.
Hook. No. 6.

NO. 24. ALDER FLY.
This fly makes its appearance early in May, and may be used throughout the month of June ; it is an excellent fly during the drake season, and will tempt the trout even when the May-fly is strong on the water.

IMITATION.
Body. Peacock's herl, tied with dark brown silk.
Legs. Coch-a-bonddu hackle.
Wings. The brown speckled feather of a mallard's back.
Hook. No. 8.
If this fly be dressed on a No. 6 or 7 hook, and winged with the red rump feather of a pheasant, it will be found an excellent lake fly. I have, myself, taken fish witli it, in Loch Awe, when the trout would not rise at any other fly.

NO. 25. GREEN DRAKE.
This beautiful fly, so well known to every angler, ap|K-ars late in May, or early in June; and on some rivers they appear in such vast numbers, that the trout become glutted with them, and grow fat upon their good living. When this fly, and the grey drake, are on the water, it is called " the drake season," and many lovers of natural fly-fishing resort to the Rutland Arms (an excellent inn, at Bakewell), and other places in Derbyshire, and elsewhere, to use the blow-line, and many heavy fish are killed in this manner. I prefer the artificial fly, and use a very small one, dressed on a No. 8 or 9 hook ; and by fishing late in the evening, throwing under overhanging bushes, and letting my fly sink a little, I have taken many large fish. This short-lived insect is not to be found on every stream : I have never seen it on the Wandle.

IMITATION.
Body. Yellow flos silk, ribbed with brown silk; the extreme head and tail, coppery peacock's herl.
Legs. A red, or ginger hackle.
Wings. The mottled wing of a mallard, stained olive.
Tail or whisk. Three hairs from a rabbit's whiskers.
Hook. No. 6.
Some persons prefer them dressed on a No. 4 or 5 hook.

NO. 26. GREY DRAKE.
This fly is said to be metamorphosed from the female green drake, and what is said of one will apply to the other ; but, I may add, it is not in so much request with the angler. Mr. Lascelles does not agree with the above opinion ; but thinks the grey drake may be found in many localities, where the green drake cannot.

IMITATION.
Body. White floss silk, ribbed with dark brown, ormulberry coloured silk; head and top of the tail, peacock's herl.
Legs. A grizzle cock's hackle.
Wings. From a mallard's mottled feather, made to stand upright.
Tail. Three whiskers of a rabbit.

NO. 27. THE BLACK PALMER.
This is a standard fly, and its merits are too well known to need description. It is a valuable drop-fly, on dark, rainy, or windy weather, and in a full water.

IMITATION.
Body. Ostrich's herl, ribbed with silver twist, and a black cock's hackle over all.

NO. 28. THE SOLDIER PALMER.
This fly (and its varieties) may be considered the most general fly on the list, and many anglers never fit up a fly-link without having a red hackle, of some kind, for a drop-fly. The one given as a specimen, may be used with success for large trout, and a strong water ; but for a bright stream, a smaller hook must be adopted, and the fly must be more spare of hackle ; and, should the water be very low and clear, the gold twist had better be omitted, and a spare hackle be tied with red twist; another variety is, the using a black hackle for the head of the fly.

IMITATION.
Body. Red mohair, or squirrel's fur, ribbed with gold twist, and red cock's hackle over all.

PLATE IV.
NO. 29. THE GOVERNOR.
This fly is used on the Hampshire rivers, and, from its appearance, I should think it may be employed with success in other counties. I cannot speak from experience, but it is a well-dressed fly.

IMITATION.
Body. Coppery-coloured peacock's herl, ribbed with gold twist, tipped with scarlet twist.
Legs. Red or ginger hackle.
Wings. The light part of a pheasant's wing.
Hook. No. 9.

NO. 30. FOR LOCH AWE.
This, and the following fly, I can strongly recommend for Loch Awe, in the Highlands of Scotland; which, together with the River Awe, have long been celebrated for their abundance of fine salmon and trout. In the description of Scotch lakes, I purpose giving an account of an excursion from London to this favourite resort of experienced anglers.

IMITATION.
Body. Orange mohair.
Legs. Ginger hackle.
Wings. From the feather of the pheasant's tail.
Hook. No. 8.

NO. 31- SECOND FLY FOR LOCH AWE.

IMITATION.
Body. Copper-coloured peacock's herl.
Legs. Black hackle.
Wings. The feather from a water-hen's wing.
Hook. No. 7.

NO. 32. FOR THE RIVER DEE.
This, and the following, will be found to be killing flies in the River Dee.

IMITATION.
Body. Dull yellow mohair.
Wings. Hackle from the neck of a pale dun hen.
Hook. No. 9.

NO. 33. ANOTHER FLY FOR THE RIVER DEE.

IMITATION.
Body. Peacock's herl.
Legs and wings. A dark dun hen's hackle, dressed rather full.
Hook. No. 9.

NO. 34. A FLY FOR LLYN OGWYN.
This fly, and those recommended for Loch Awe, will ensure sport on this most sporting lake. Llyn Ogwyn is in the county of Caernarvon, North Wales, and is abundantly stocked with the finest and best flavoured trout in the Principality.

IMITATION.
Body. Peacock's herl.
Legs. Black hackle.
Wings. The dark copper-coloured feather of the mallard.
Hook. No. 8.

NO. 35. COCHI-A-BONDDU.
This fly is a well-known favourite throughout the United Kingdom, though not always under the same name; but it is more especially relied on in Wales; and the cock that furnishes the peculiarly mixed deep red and black feather, necessary to make this fly, is in great estimation.

IMITATION.
Body. Peacock's herl.
Legs and wings. Red and black, or coch-a-bonddu hackle.
Hook. No. 8 or 9 ; and, in the north of England, for clear streams, it is sometimes dressed on a No. 12 hook.

NO. 36. THE YELLOW SALLY.
These flies continue in season from May to July, and in warm weather they are numerous on some waters.

IMITATION.
Body. Pale yellow fur, or mohair, ribbed with fawn coloured silk.
Legs. A ginger hackle.
Wings. A white hackle, dyed yellow.
Hook. No. 9.

NO. 37. GINGER HACKLE.
Body. Short and spare, of yellow silk.
Legs and wings. A ginger hackle.
Hook. No. 8, Kendal-sneck.

NO. 38. GROUSE HACKLE.
Body. Varied to the water and season, such as peacock's herl, orange silk, &c.
Legs and wings. A grouse hackle.
Hook. From No. 8 to 12.

NO. 39. THE DOTTERIL HACKLE.
The dotteril hackle is one of the surest flies that can be used in the north of England, where it has long been a first-rate favourite, carrying the palm, even from the red hackle.

IMITATION.
Body. Made of yellow silk.
Legs and wings. From the feather of a dotteril.
Hook. Kirby-sneck, from No. 6 to No. 12.
This is a killing fly on Ulswater, when dressed on a No. 6 hook; and by being dressed on a No. 11 or 12 sneck-hook, it will answer for small streams.

I have now closed my account of the engraved flies, and shall proceed to describe a few others that are not engraved, but which may be procured by their description at the tackle shops.

NO. 40. FOR THE CONWAY.
This, and the following two hackle-flies, may be used on the Conway and other Welsh rivers.

IMITATION.
Body. Dun orange mohair.
Legs and wings. A dark dun hen's hackle.
Hook. No. 11.

NO. 41. SECOND CONWAY FLY.

IMITATION.
Body, Yellow mohair.
Legs and wings. Bright dun hen's hackle.
Hook, No. 10.

NO. 42. THIRD CONWAY FLY.
Body. Peacock's herl.
Legs and wings. A wren's hackle.
Hook. No. 9.

NO. 43. THE GRANNOM, OR GREENTAIL.
This well known fly appears early in April, but is never seen unless the weather is warm. For a short season, it is sometimes very abundant, and will be well taken by the trout.

IMITATION.
Body. Fur of a hare's face, pointed at the tail with a little green silk.
Legs. A cock's grizzled hackle.
Wings. The feather from a pheasant's or partridge's wing.
Hook. No. 9.

NO. 44. THE WATER-CRICKET.
This insect appears in March, and is much commended by the " north country angler."

IMITATION.
Body. Orange floss silk, tied on with black silk.
Legs. Are made best of a peacock's topping. If this cannot be easily procured, a black cock's hackle will answer the purpose. Either of these must be wound all down the body, and the fibres then snapped off. This is Mr. Ronald's imitation.

NO. 45. THE BLUE-BOTTLE FLY.
This fly, and the house-fly, as I have before said, are excellent live baits, when used with a float, and fished with at the bottom. They are also good as artificial flies, late in the season, for trout; but more especially for dace.

IMITATION.
Body. Dark blue floss silk, tied with brown silk.
Legs. A cock's black hackle.
Wings. Feather of the starling's wing.
Hook. No. 9 to 12.

NO. 46.
The common house-fly may be dressed on a No. 12, or No. 13 hook.
Body. Ostrich herl, rather full.
Legs. A black hackle.
Wings. The feather of a starling's wing.

I have now concluded my list of artificial flies. My readers will perceive that this list might be greatly enlarged ; indeed, by what has been already said, it will be seen that the variety of hackle-flies may be extended indefinitely. But, it may be well to state, that Mr. Chevalier, of Bell-yard, Temple Bar, and Mr. Barth, of Cockspur-street, have undertaken to have in readiness a supply of the flies described in the preceding list, on there being ordered by the numbers affixed to the plates; and that they will be made by any other fishing tackle
makers, by description.

For the small hackles, made on Nos. 11, 12, and 13, hooks, I prefer the Kirby-sneck. I have already made a distinction between hackle-flies and palmers. In the former, die hackle does not pass over the body of the fly, but is confined to the head of the fly, for the legs and wings ; but, in the palmer, or caterpillar fly, the hackle is carried all over the body. I shall close this subject by observing, that a variety of killing palmers may be dressed, by making the bodies of differently coloured peacocks' herls, and by twisting over them hackles of various kinds, such as the red, the black, die dun, the grizzle, the blue, and die coch-a-bonddu ; and they may be dressed on hooks proper for the waters they are intended for.

Go To Front Page