News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

I Saw A Cormorant

Started by Wildfisher, September 21, 2011, 11:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

This has to be one of the most idiotic fishing related web sites ever and it has to be said that's against some pretty stiff competition. I see others think the same judging  by a few of the markers on the map.  :lol:

http://www.cormorantwatch.org/    :roll:

One entry from Aberdeenshire

goosander colony sighting
Number of birds: 13
Date and time: 10 Jul 2011, 08:00
Main behaviour witnessed: swimming  (bastards eh?   :lol:)
Type of watercourse: river

A cracker  from east of Wick!

cormorant sighting
Number of birds: 21
Date and time: 4 Sep 2011, 17:00
Main behaviour witnessed: eating
Type of watercourse: large stillwater     :roflmao

Guddler

I investigated that site a few weeks ago and could hardly believe what I was reading. The whole thing looks like the worst piece of PR for anglers that you could dream up but they've got a list of notables and worthies voicing their support. One of them was Hugh Miles whose book "Track of the Wild Otter" was written about his experiences filming otters in Shetland. I wonder if he'll be after them now that their numbers are booming here?

I did report seeing a cormorant swimming in the sea off Shetland and I see it's on their map too  :lol:
I could send them daily reports of scores of the bloody things to keep them busy. Maybe they'd dispatch an eradication team to sort out our wild bird "problem".

Dunbar

definitely some scope for mischief with reporting on that map:P

Robbie

I did not realise at first that this website was set up by the Angling Trust,  is this not meant to be some sort of governing body representing the interests of all anglers?  Not quite what I would have expected from them.

Robbie

Out of interest, does anyone know how accurate the RSPB population estimates are?

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/cormorant/index.aspx

Traditionalist

Quote from: Robbie on September 22, 2011, 01:12:36 PM
Out of interest, does anyone know how accurate the RSPB population estimates are?

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/cormorant/index.aspx

Nobody really knows. These estimates are exactly that, estimates, and in some cases they may well be skewed by diverse conflicts of interest and vested interests. Various organisations are prone to give results which agree with or further their own agendas.  If you want better estimates then you need to take a wide cross section of such estimates, also from scientific groups, ( where you know the source of funding! :)  )  and you can then probably form a much more accurate estimate.

TL
MC

Wildfisher

Quote from: Robbie on September 22, 2011, 09:03:21 AM
I did not realise at first that this website was set up by the Angling Trust,  is this not meant to be some sort of governing body representing the interests of all anglers?

They don't represent me anyway Robbie. No way I'd have anything to do with that nonsense. What I have seen of the angling trust so far they seem to be yet another right wing field sports body.

No thanks, I'd rather stop fishing.  :D

Malcolm

Can you imagine something like Cormorant Watch having any effect at all? It looks undersubscribed and distinctly amateurish.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Traditionalist

Quote from: Malcolm on September 27, 2011, 01:02:13 AM
Can you imagine something like Cormorant Watch having any effect at all? It looks undersubscribed and distinctly amateurish.

Depends what clout they have and what publicity they can drum up.  It's often a mistake to underestimate such things. One can be surprised by all sorts of things. On the face of it though, I would tend to agree with you.

TL
MC

Wildfisher

Quote from: Malcolm on September 27, 2011, 01:02:13 AM
Can you imagine something like Cormorant Watch having any effect at all?
Other than damage angling,  no.

Go To Front Page