News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

In My Garden Today

Started by River Chatter, January 09, 2011, 12:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black-Don

I'd have agreed with col at 1st glance and said siskins but as the jury still seems to be out i'm going to go for greenfinches

Black-Don

John,

The suspense here is killin' me :banghead . Any updates ?

Malcolm

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

River Chatter

Sorry Donald, got distracted by work... always gets in the way of my forum life!  Aye, Col and Malcolm got it spot on right enough.  Don't know how many in the pic, so would need to go back to the full res version and count them up, but for arguments sake lets say 18  :lol:

Funny, I've lived in my house in EK now for around 3 years and have never seen a single siskin despite putting out copious amounts of assorted foodstuffs, then along come 50 or so in a huge flock.  They stayed for around an hour taking seeds from the trees and barely touching my handouts in the feeders.  The party was spoiled eventually by a magpie that swooped down on them, scattering the flock.  What it was trying to achieve God knows, must have been desperate! Still, a nice diversion from my usual visitors.  Anyone got any idea how I could encourage more finches?  I'd love to attract bullfinches for example.  Assorted seeds doesn't seem to do it for them.  Maybe EK is too high?

Fishtales

If you are buying in bulk I can't fault this company.

http://www.thebirdtable.co.uk/

I've been using them for a number of years now and the service and quality are excellent. I use the "No Waste" Feeder Mix 20kg and the Peanuts 20kg both of which I usually only need to order twice a year.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

emc

I used to put out peanuts but nothing ate them, I used to put out suet and suet balls but nothing ate them, Black sunflowers are fine but they leave such a mess. Sunflower hearts are the absolute rage, I've just run out and there is just good quality bird mix and the just fly by. Are birds fussy?  :?

Wildfisher

Quote from: emc on January 10, 2011, 06:20:38 PM
Are birds fussy? 

That was always my experience, especially with the really gorgeous ones.  :lol:

emc

Wildfisher

Not always though, I fondly remember one bird from the 70s When I walked into a pub with her she turned heads. You could tell by  the expressions  what they were thinking - "what's a stunning woman like that doing with  that unkempt ugly hippy bastard?"   "She must be feckin  nuts."

Sadly, as it later turned out,  she was.   :lol:

Inchlaggan

Quote from: admin on January 10, 2011, 06:32:32 PM
Not always though, I fondly remember one bird from the 70s When I walked into a pub with her she turned heads. You could tell by  the expressions  what they were thinking - "what's a stunning woman like that doing with  that unkempt ugly hippy bastard?"   "She must be feckin  nuts."

Sadly, as it later turned out,  she was.   :lol:

Well there is an astounding coincidence, I never knew you knew my first wife!
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Go To Front Page