News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Kingfisher

Started by Harpo, June 06, 2008, 10:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

No not a post about me and my fishing prowess :D

I was sitting by the Almond the other day watching for rising fish of which there were very few, suddenly a flash of blue darted in front of me and landed on it's perch across the river, so I sat and watched Mr Kingfisher bobbing about looking for a meal, then he was joined by Mrs Kingfisher and they hunted together. Probably watched them for about 10 minutes as they were calling to each other and I think I saw where their nest is.

if i'd had a camera like Mr Superscot, I would have got a great photo of them

A dog walker stopped to speak to me and I pointed them out to him as well, turns out he was a frequent fisher of the same river and hadn't seen one before.

Great sight on a lovely warn sunny afternoon, oh aye and I manged my first ever trout from the Almond which was exceedingly silver  :D but that's for another section of the forum!!

Harpo

Quote from: gavceltic on June 06, 2008, 10:55:44 PM
we only have boring birds like golden eagles and such like.

Yeah that must be real bummer having such common species :shock: !

Clan Ford

Quote from: crocach on June 06, 2008, 11:20:04 PM
You should be choughed.

Aye, they are ten a penny on Islay - helps if you know what your looking for though...  the place we stay on Islay, at Kilchoman, is a bit of a bird watchers paradise and plenty stay there and write up the guest book with all they have spotted.  Now, there is a big crag behind the house where all sorts of birds breed including choughs and you see them flying past numerous times each day.  I would point them out to my wife, who was interested in seeing them after all the oooing and aaahing going on in the guest book about them, but she would always say I can't see anything until finally it dawned oh her that all the wee crows I had been pointing at (and she had been discounting) were in fact Choughs - she was expecting something more exotic - women eh? 

Norm

smackinnon

a couple of kingfishers spotted at the "Middle loch" at Threipmuir last year, not seen them this year yet.
only dead fish go with the flow.

shanksi

Most of our times on the White Cart have seen kingfisher but have never seen a pair.  Have noticed that the one this year seems larger than previous years.   Would love to get a photo but the little bugger moves too fast and never lands near where we are.

shanksi

haresear

QuoteThese used to be very rare birds in Central Scotland.   

You are right there Piscatus. It is only in the last ten years or so that I have seen Kingfishers in my neck of the woods. Now you can see them on the Clyde at Glasgow Green.

Alex
Protect the edge.

paulr

There are several pairs on the Kelvin nowadays too.

Fin

I see one every day, it's on my wifes arse. Getting bigger every day.

Fin :lol:

haresear

QuoteI see one every day, it's on my wifes arse. Getting bigger every day.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I just about spilled my coffee there Fin. Not on your wife's arse, I mean on my keyboard...

Alex
Protect the edge.

Fin

She has a tatoo of one, nice little bird it is. See one working up and down the Ericht sometimes. Catches bigger fish than Ardbeg :lol: :lol:
  Always think it's a bit exotic looking for Blairgowrie. You should see some of the other birds here  :shock:.

All the best Fin.

Go To Front Page