News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Help please - confused over line choice

Started by Tweed, July 28, 2010, 07:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweed

I need a new floating line for loch work, and after reading (/confusing myself with) a few threads on here, I think I may take a gamble and try something other than my usual DT Cortland 444's for a change.

I love Cortland lines though, and wonder if anyone could recommend another for loch-style work - both boat and bank.  I want something that will cast a decent length of line, not get blown off-course in a decent cross wind, but without sacrificing presentation.  Easy eh  :lol: 

I've always preferred DT's for the wild fishing, believing (perhaps mistakenly - as pointed out on other threads) that they give a more delicate presentation.  I'm happy to try a WF though.  I did experiment with a Lee Wulff triangle taper a couple of years ago - it was a brief experiment as I really struggled to get the same control in a decent wind.  Oh, and I fish a wt 7 rod as well - heavy by some folks' standards, but I like it.

So, what would you recommend?  All suggestions gratefully recieved - I may even be tempted away from Cortland . . . .

Thanks in advance  :),

Andrew

scotty9

It's a lucky dip  :lol:

If you are feeling very adventurous a loop multi is the best I have used in wind, the marketing spiel says it has a higher density core to do better in wind bla bla bla, I can't comment on that but it does seem to cast like a dream in a wind. It's a very short head circa 34' or something like that but the full weight of an equivalent "standard" head is in there, just wind it up and let it go! The price may give you a fright though...  :(

Other than that most will do the same job - although if you switch to a WF you will likely see it shoots much easier depending how far you're casting.

haresear

If you like the Cortlands, why not stick with the 444 in a weight forward? The peach floaters are perfectly good lines.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Guddler

I've got a couple of WF7 floaters that I don't use at all. They both came with reels I've bought so are second hand and seem in very good nick.
One is a white Shakespeare Worcestershire and seems very nice and supple.
Second is a hi-viz yellow that I don't know the make of it.
I've never cast either of them so couldn't tell you anything else about them.
They're no use to me so I can pop them in the post if you fancy giving them a try.

Tweed

Quote from: Guddler on July 29, 2010, 04:50:24 PM
They're no use to me so I can pop them in the post if you fancy giving them a try.

That's a hell of an offer sir.  Thanks.  Would love to try the Shakespeare (not that keen on the hi-viz lines though).  If I can try it to decide if the WF is the way to go, before investing in one myself, then send it back up to you that would be hugely appreciated.

I assume you use a DT yourself?

Will drop you a pm.  Thanks again.

Andrew

Tweed

Thanks for all the advice gents - I realise it's a mine-field and pretty much down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Particular thanks to Guddler - what a gent - line arrived today and looks in perfect nick.  A few quid donated to the forum coffers in return. :)

Andrew

haresear

Quote from: piscatus absentis on August 03, 2010, 12:10:17 AM
Just a point on the high viz lines.  Do they really put fish off?

A few years ago a couple of us tried viewing them from under-water in a swimming pool and found it hard to actually tell what colour the line was.

To be honest, I doubt if it matters that much when on the surface, but a bright orange line flashing about against a wooded backdrop just doesn't seem right to me on a river, so I don't fish with them.

Many old school NZ guides swear that a bright line scares fish, while some of the younger guides say it doesn't make a difference :?

Alex 
Protect the edge.

Teither

Quote from: Alan on August 03, 2010, 12:16:19 AM
im going to design a line thats hi vis on top and muted tones underneith :lol: if your ok with hi vis just use it upside down :lol:

This must be your witty ten minutes !  :)
Would it not be the case that any line which is floating or above the fish will appear dark anyway, and is not the best tactic to try to avoid letting the fish notice the line in the first place ? I've always been a fan of very long leaders  for that very reason, to assist in that deception !!  :D :D
OET

Go To Front Page