News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Greasing Leaders

Started by haresear, May 21, 2010, 06:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

Lovely fish Alex!

Do you remember a strange fly which was basically a nymph with a piece of nylon coming out of it's head with a polystyrene bead on the end so the fly would float an inch under the surface?

I've got a variant of that with CDC on the end of a bit of copper wire which I think works even better. If I see you this week I'll give you one.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

QuoteDo you remember a strange fly which was basically a nymph with a piece of nylon coming out of it's head with a polystyrene bead on the end so the fly would float an inch under the surface?

I don't remember that one Malcolm. Sounds interesting and I wouldn't mind seeing one.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Clan Ford

Quote from: Malcolm on May 22, 2010, 11:38:29 PM
Lovely fish Alex!

Do you remember a strange fly which was basically a nymph with a piece of nylon coming out of it's head with a polystyrene bead on the end so the fly would float an inch under the surface?

I've got a variant of that with CDC on the end of a bit of copper wire which I think works even better. If I see you this week I'll give you one.

Aye and the parasol fly which was very similliar with a bit nylon topped by a tuft of poly yarn.  I've caught a few grayling on them.

http://fishinggear.shoppersend.com/parasol-midge-emerger-black---fly

They'd probably sacre the shit out of a Clyde troot though :roll:

Norm

east wind

Very useful and current info, thanks.

I tied a few of those parasols some years ago after two successive nights, same spot, same time going bananas watching good fish take ascending yellow may duns and ignore everything i gave them. Did not get to use them though.

Last year i had modest success trailing spiders off a DHE. Have had a few tough nights on river last week with fish feeding as you have described and tried a single spider but without any confidence/conviction/presentation been getting nowhere.

Just shows the results when you sharpen up a bit.

EW
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

paulr

Been really intrigued by this thread and Alex's clever solution to the fish taking ascending nymphs.

Have tied up some Parasol Nymphs, now I just need to find some fussy, bulging risers to test them on  :D

scotty9

Loads of them in argyll at the weekend Paul!

Alex - if you hadn't gone fishing you would have seen one of these nymphs. Davy had a selection from that sawyers nymph company and one of them was the very fly with the nylong and yarn. He got them as a free sample. At the time I couldn't work out what the hell they were for  :(

haresear

QuoteAlex - if you hadn't gone fishing you would have seen one of these nymphs.

Aye, but I would have caught nothing :)

Looking at the parasol and thinking about the poly ball version, it strikes me that all I would have to do to get the same effect is to tie my yarn indicator in closer to the fly, or use a wee bit of Flote-Do :worms

Alex
Protect the edge.

paulr

Quote from: haresear on May 26, 2010, 01:14:47 AM

Looking at the parasol and thinking about the poly ball version, it strikes me that all I would have to do to get the same effect is to tie my yarn indicator in closer to the fly, or use a wee bit of Flote-Do :worms

Alex

Aye that makes sense, but then I don't get to play about at the vice tying daft flees  :wink:

haresear

QuoteWell done Alex, fantastic fish.
Just like to say that this has been a great topic - especially if you've spent time on the clyde trying to tempt fish taking ascending nymphs, as I tried yesterday. I did get a couple o fish (early on in rise) and then they focused in on the ascending nymphs, tried spiders on droppers, every variation of sunk abdomen flies, nymphs off dries NZ style, but nothing. As you did Alex you have to hit that depth spot on. Well done again.

ali

Thanks Ali. I can sympathise with youyour frustrations of yesterday. I had the same problem with a fish of 3lb plus.

I could see him charging about in the water taking nymphs and rising up to take hatching nymphs. I fished for him for upwards of an hour and had one half hearted boil to a f fly in all that time. Nothing works all the time :(

I got some smaller fish in compensation, but I wanted the big chap.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page