News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Float fishing for grayling

Started by zeolite, October 19, 2006, 01:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeolite

Hi folks
want to do some float fishing for grayling and I have done a bit with a borrowed rod but I need my own rod and I haven't a clue what I need. So advice please.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Wildfisher

Quote from: zeolite on October 19, 2006, 01:31:49 PM
Hi folks
want to do some float fishing for grayling and I have done a bit with a borrowed rod but I need my own rod and I haven't a clue what I need. So advice please.

Brian is your man. He wrote a bit for Fish Wild this month on that very subject!

rabbitangler

Personally I always used a 9' #6 Trout rod when I used to fish for Grayling. Come to think of it in those days it was the only rod I had so it got used for fly, float, ledger & if I recall correctly it made a cracking Trout spinning rod too.

zeolite

Cheers for that chaps. I was looking more at ?40 than ?99 :D
What size of test curve do you think is appropriate?

Wildfisher

I too have a hankering to try this, especially after reading Brian's article in Fish Wild this month. Have not float fished for at least 35 years. Having someone to show you the ropes would be desirable I think. Could we not perhaps have a gathering with Brian – say on the Isla -  who could show us how it's done?

Wildfisher

Brian, thought about  Isla as it is fairly central for most of us, probably about an equal distance for all to travel?

zeolite

The Strathmore club has a very large amount of river and plenty of room for everyone. At a ?5 for the winter it is ridiculously cheap. We just need a good meeting place for breakfast and after fishing pint. No time for lunch as that is prime time apparently.

lnelson20

9lb grayling :shock:my arse :wink:

All the best

Chris.
c.nelson

Wildfisher

Quote from: Ardbeg on October 24, 2006, 01:56:27 AM
He's probably seen a fully grown red deer stag getting dragged under on the Isla from the pike in there too

Dinnae exaggerate Smurf. It was actually a roe buck  :D

Wildfisher

Quote from: zeolite on October 24, 2006, 12:07:50 AM
We just need a good meeting place for breakfast and after fishing pint. No time for lunch as that is prime time apparently.

What about Meigle? That would fulfil all the requirements and us with no  permits can buy them at the local Spar / Mace or whatever it is?

Go To Front Page