News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

One for Alan

Started by scotty9, April 14, 2011, 06:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

I got bored the other day when fishing (the weather was shite!  :lol:) so I stood on a big rock on the edge of this particular lake and started mucking around with spey casts. Something amazing happened - I managed to confirm why the voodoo cast is called a dry fly spey cast by Michael Mauri in his DVD. I had never noticed this, maybe I've never watched it before but I suddenly realised after making my d-loop the fly never touched the water, not once. After you make your squiggles in the air, you bring the rod down and behind you, as it is high in the air after making the loops, that downward sweep allows you to make a d-loop and the very end of the fly line anchors and part of the leader just as a touch-and-go and the fly hovers in the air not touching the water. I did it over and over again and noticed this everytime.

What surprised me was the dip didn't cause a crashed anchor like with other speys, maybe it is to do with the way the line is fully aerialised in those number of loops, who knows?!

I found this interesting anyway and finally we can confirm it as a 'dry fly spey'  :lol: :lol:

Go To Front Page