News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

selling carp by the pound: Trout Fisherman #496 May 2017

Started by corsican dave, April 19, 2017, 01:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

Brilliant stuff Dave  :applause. Your parents will be very proud  :8). When is it out ?

corsican dave

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

scoobyscott

Nice one, will be sure to check it out. I'm sure your folks will be proud and so should you. Hope you got a nice wee lump to put towards your next trip too

Wildfisher

What are they paying for an article these days Dave. I remember Allan Liddle saying that FF&FT only paid about £60 for a full article with photos, but that was some years ago.

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on April 20, 2017, 08:12:10 AM
What are they paying for an article these days Dave. I remember Allan Liddle saying that FF&FT only paid about £60 for a full article with photos, but that was some years ago.
yes, he's not wrong; it's hardly a career move. £200 for the full article with photos. my articles must be better than his....  :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

TF has a bigger circulation  than FF&FT which is in comparison  a  second division publication, so I would expect TF to pay more. £200 is not bad actually, but not as you say, a career move.

corsican dave

since we're on the subject, and since it's a subject close to your heart (Fred & others!); photography

the quality of photography in TF (and layout)has gone through the roof in the last year. on many occasions right up there with some of the top international mags. however, there seems to be a trend for post-production image tweaking, which i find a little strange? if you look at that photo of me for instance, it's sharp as a laser. but in order to achieve that i know it's been played around with using an editing suite to change the balance between various colours. fine in principle, but almost every photo ends up looking almost like a cartoon and a bit "gloomy".

if you look at pro photographer's web sites such as Matt Harris' http://www.mattharrisflyfishing.com/ you'll see they seem to be actively striving for this look. i'm not sure i like it?
i don't have permission from Matt to post this, so feel free to delete it if you think appropriate

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on April 20, 2017, 09:31:40 AM
since we're on the subject, and since it's a subject close to your heart (Fred & others!); photography

the quality of photography in TF (and layout)has gone through the roof in the last year. on many occasions right up there with some of the top international mags. however, there seems to be a trend for post-production image tweaking, which i find a little strange? if you look at that photo of me for instance, it's sharp as a laser. but in order to achieve that i know it's been played around with using an editing suite to change the balance between various colours. fine in principle, but almost every photo ends up looking almost like a cartoon and a bit "gloomy".

if you look at pro photographer's web sites such as Matt Harris' http://www.mattharrisflyfishing.com/ you'll see they seem to be actively striving for this look. i'm not sure i like it?
i don't have permission from Matt to post this, so feel free to delete it if you think appropriate

They tend to increase the saturation and contrast to make the subject "pop" as well as sharpening the edges. Sometimes it works sometimes not, but don't forget if you shoot jpegs  your camera processes and enhances the images for you. I have to laugh when people claim they don't process their images and they are more "true to life" yet shoot jpeg.   :lol:

Bobfly

FF and FT have published two photos from me, one was a "Shot of the Month" full page thing. No dosh offered but then I didn't ask for any  :D 
I did have an article of a few pages in what is a very small circulation woodturning association magazine and was sent £100 for it so FF and FT do seem to be pretty cheapskate.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

corsican dave

Go To Front Page