News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

what to use?

Started by flyboy, March 20, 2008, 01:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyboy

what should i take for my first wild fishing trip?
im going for browns in the coming weeks and dont want to confuse myself at an early stage of what flies to take and use.
im new to wild fishing and i want to take a smallish selection of tried and tested flies, i was thinking about
  1 Kate Mclaren
  2 Black Pennel
  3 Bibio
  4 Zulu
  5 Soldier Palmer
  6 Clan Chief
these flies seem to be mentioned regularly in the forums therefore my thoughts are to go with these. can anyone suggest any others and what size should these be tied.

haresear

Good choices Flyboy. They are all what I would use as bob flies or top droppers.

I would add some heavier/slimmer flies for the tail/point. Butcher, greenwell, cinnamon and gold etc. I use spiders with a wire body too.

If you are fishing Ba etc., add in some slim, brownish flies (scientific, eh?) as there is a hatch of sepia duns around April.

It will still be cold up here, so bring slim nymphs too. Hare's ears and PTNs should cover it.

All of the above can be covered by sizes 14/12 at this time of year.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Crawhin

As Haresear says, what you've listed are all good flees but mostly bushy hackled top/middle dropper patterns. The slimmer, winged, flees that he lists will all work well on the end on the point. Early season on a strange lochan I'd be more than happy starting off searching with a cast of a small black zulu on the bob and a silver butcher on the tail (unless you're confident with your casting and want to go for a 3 fly cast). 

If there are small black flees hatching off then a black pennell, blea and black or black spider could get you results and if you get an early hatch of olives then a greenwell's glory or brown/olive spider would be in with a chance.

Best of luck with your first wild fishing trip - there's nothing quite like it.

Cheers,

Ian

Go To Front Page