News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recent posts

Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: No water Changes
Last post by Fishtales - Today at 10:06:00 PM
Just noticed the Cory have been at it again. She seems to like this corner under the internal filter. Not the easiest place for pictures :)

20240506_185251.jpg

20240506_185525.jpg

Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Fish Ailments
Last post by Jon - Today at 09:24:09 PM
White spot (Ich) - Just treat with eSHa Exit as per instructions. Ignore any nonsense about increasing the water temperature!

Malawi bloat - Mbuna are herbivores but many people feed them high protein food which is why captive fish can grow larger than wild mbuna. And why they suffer from bloat.... - Just fed them spilurina based feed and a herbivour diet and it won't be a problem. Simple.
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Fish Ailments
Last post by SoldierPmr - Today at 09:22:07 PM
Neon tetra disease does the rounds. Unfortunately you can't do anything about it as far as I'm aware and it can pass to some other species.
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Fish Ailments
Last post by Wildfisher - Today at 09:05:21 PM
The only ones I came across 40 years ago were the usual white spot, (easy to deal with) and the infamous "Malawi Bloat" which was a mystery back then and didn't even have a name. I lost several good fish to that as did all my fish keeper friends. I even bottled a dead fish in formalin and sent it too Stirling University for an autopsy. Got a report back, but sadly they came up blank. I believe it's now known to be a dietary issue.

What is the latest on these ailments?
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Essential Accessories
Last post by Jon - Today at 02:39:29 PM
Quote from: Fishtales on Today at 01:50:33 PMThe shed the tanks are in is heated to 23ºC and can rise to 30 some days in the summer. They have heaters in them but set at 23ºC which go off with the lights and the temperature can drop to 21ºC during the night. I have always set them that way and all the fish I have kept live long and stay healthy.

I was really thinking about the cliched 'sterbai in with discus' and species that can be found at 10c to 12c in the wild. :)
Last post by Fishtales - Today at 02:20:32 PM
Quote from: Wildfisher on Today at 02:06:19 PMHandy if Marion kicks you out.  ;D

It sometimes feels warmer out there than in the house so wouldn't be so bad :)
Last post by Wildfisher - Today at 02:06:19 PM
Quote from: Fishtales on Today at 01:50:33 PMThe shed the tanks are in is heated to 23ºC

Handy if Marion kicks you out.  ;D
Last post by Fishtales - Today at 01:50:33 PM
The shed the tanks are in is heated to 23ºC and can rise to 30 some days in the summer. They have heaters in them but set at 23ºC which go off with the lights and the temperature can drop to 21ºC during the night. I have always set them that way and all the fish I have kept live long and stay healthy.
Last post by Wildfisher - Today at 01:48:21 PM
Quote from: Jon on Today at 01:28:21 PMAnd on that note have you decided on what species you want Fred?

I  know nothing at all about them Jon and  mean nothing  ;D it's not a fish I ever kept. I guess it will come down to wat is locally available but I'm open o suggestions!
Go To Front Page