News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Assynt 2010

Started by snb, November 23, 2009, 11:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snb

At the beginning of the long, dark winter I'm already starting to plan my annual trip to Assynt.

I usually go last week in June but can't make it at that time this year, I was wondering if anyone had any advice about the best time of the year to visit.

I was thinking it would be better to go in May rather than July or August. The main reason being the old legend of the 'dog days of July' and the midges being a bit more entrenched in high summer.

Any thoughts much appreciated, my favourite cottage is getting booked up fast and I need to get it booked. I need something to look forward to!

snb

Also, as a web designer by trade I have to say the new look fish wild is a fine piece of work!

Couldn't have done it better myself!

haresear

I used to go to Assynt in the last week of May. We usually had good fishing and the midges were pretty thin on the ground. You may get the start of the mayfly too on some of the lochs.

Once went in August and it was midge hell. No wind for a week and we were driven off the water at times. the fishing was pretty poor that year too, but that may have been down to conditions.

I would go for May if i were you.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I'd avoid September like  the plague. I have had too many disasters there at that time of year, cold, continuous gales, very poor fishing.

June through August is fine with the last week in June / 1st week of July  hard to beat.

Pearly Invicta

My annual fishing trip with the boys is always last week in may/1st week June. Always had a decent bit of weather, it's quiet and there's nae midges.

Pearly Invicta

Remember that Nick Hand-cock took his fishing school lot up to sutherland late in the season and they really struggled. Early season is best for me, but not too early. I caught a fish at Rhiconnich at easter one year and it was the earliest fish in the book for 10 years. Last 2 weeks in May to the end of June would be the target window for me!

snb

Cheers for the info fellas!

I reckon I'll go for late May, I can't wait till September to get back up to Assynt, that is too long a wait!

Wildfisher

Just remember that late May is known  for poor weather up here. :D

Pearly Invicta

As is late June. And early May. Early June is particularly bad but not as bad as late May and it can be honking in July.

sandyborthwick

Fished the area in May with some success and very few midgees.

Had a couple of cold blowy days but also some nice warm ones for evening rises.

I wouldn't say there was much difference between may and September apart from there are more Seatrout to be had late on.

Sandy B.O.

Go To Front Page