News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

anti- freeze

Started by Its Me, January 08, 2010, 05:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan Crawford

Quote from: oystercatcher on January 17, 2013, 04:40:33 PM
I use glycerine It does work.I carry it in a container that they supply the line cleaning pads in.I cut tissues to fit and then pour the glycerine in until pads have absorbed the liquid.Prior to fishing apply to rings and re-apply when required.

Hi Oystercatcher
Where can you buy glycerine, can you get it in supermarket, I aint interesting in ordering from the internet? I dont have a problem that often with line freezing in the rings, have done when salmon fishing but very rarely and easy to just dip rod in the water. For me mostly just when winter piking and I usually go out when it is wet and mild so not a problem either. When I have gone out with it under freezing and you can find somewhere to fish, if I think its going to be a problem I change at the start of the day from braid to spare spools loaded 20lb mono and a wee spray of WD40 along the rings of the rod and on the alarms (WD40 I usually have in the car already) finding this works well, certaintly well enough. I find changing over from braid to mono well worth the effort as its not just sticking to the rings that is the problem, braid freezing to everything it touches, ice forming on water surface were braid enters, freezing stiff. If happy were my bait is I'll maybe not touch it for the rest of the day, but I'll keep my eye out for glycerine and see if I can pick some up, I've heard of it and sounds like it would be better especially for winter fly fishing for grayling which I'm keen to have ago at one day  :)

Bobfly

You can get glycerine from almost any pharmacy. Also often at the baking ingredients section of large supermarkets. Vaseline would probably be a bit longer lasting than glycerine as glycerine dissolves in water.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Allan Crawford

Quote from: Bobfly on February 01, 2013, 11:49:49 AM
You can get glycerine from almost any pharmacy. Also often at the baking ingredients section of large supermarkets. Vaseline would probably be a bit longer lasting than glycerine as glycerine dissolves in water.

Thanks Bobfly
I have tried vaseline and while it has its uses for Pike deadbaiting fishing I prefer WD40. Will get myself some glycerine but lately I havent been out enough to have a problem so could be a while before I try it out.

oystercatcher

Yep, as above local Boots store.

Go To Front Page