News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

5 weight line.

Started by Glenogle, June 29, 2011, 07:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenogle

Last night was first time with my new 6 piece 9ft travel rod and a new 5 weight mill end floating line.  I found loading the rod nigh on impossible and was thus not able to get my fly out any distance (max about 25ft?) or even to get the leader to unfold.
The questions are:-
1)  Is it that i am just unused to lighter gear (usually use an 8 weight)
2)  If i used my 8 wieght line on my 5 weight rod would that be bad or would it indeed help load it?
3)  Retarded one to finish, if my line is wf floating and is a mill end, is it possible to mount it back to front (when i have bought lines in the past they have said which end to add to backing)?

haresear

To answer your questions in order...

1) Your outfit should be matched, more or less, so there should be no difference in terms of casting technique needed. Maybe you are trying too hard or more accurately using too much power? Try just bending the tip of the rod with a short stroke at short range. you should be able to bend the tip against the weight of the line you have in the air.
2) at very short range that would work, but you may break the rod if you try to aerialise too much line, so I don't recommend that tactic.
3) may well be the case. Strip off 15 feet of line and compare the tip with the thickness at 15'. If they are the same thickness, then it is on back to front.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Fishtales

I would try 3) first it is easy to do without noticing. After that 1) it is possible that you are expecting to feel more weight than you are getting, try slowing down your cast. Finally 2) it would work but it wouldn't help you cast your 5 weight :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Glenogle

Can confirm that as point No.3 indicated, i am indeed special.  I've mounted it arse for elbow.  That will likely be the cause.  I've already taken all the line and backing off last night as i had wound it on the wrong way round.  At least it wont take long to fix this time.  I'll be sure to report back if all is ok now.

Edit - having taken the line off and placed the two ends side by side they actually look the same.  Ahh well time will tell.  Maybe me and this rod are destind tot to co-exist

haresear

Quote from: Glenogle on June 29, 2011, 08:30:11 PM
Can confirm that as point No.3 indicated, i am indeed special.  I've mounted it arse for elbow.  That will likely be the cause.  I've already taken all the line and backing off last night as i had wound it on the wrong way round.  At least it wont take long to fix this time.  I'll be sure to report back if all is ok now.

Edit - having taken the line off and placed the two ends side by side they actually look the same.  Ahh well time will tell.  Maybe me and this rod are destind tot to co-exist

You are not alone, Glenogle. It is easily done, especially after a pint or three :) Glad you got it sorted.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Glenogle

Must have been back to front.  I turned the line round and it seemed to be casting normally last night, with the odd tangle, which is standard fare for me.

Go To Front Page