News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

An old chestnut: off the reel or off the line?

Started by Midgie Hater, February 15, 2014, 05:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midgie Hater

Quote from: haresear on February 16, 2014, 01:58:05 AM
...he's actually fairly diplomatic and understanding until he gets to know you. Once has done that, he takes no prisoners. "What the fuck are you doing?" is a frequently used phrase :lol:

In among those big rocks you need as little line as possible between you and the fish, otherwise you may end up with the line around a rock.  These guys hook big fish on an almost daily basis and are well worth listening to and learning from.

Oh, for sure. Absolutely. I was just amused at his "instructions" to Fred, which, as you've explained there, are borne of familiarity and a desire to impart experience in order to help the client avoid some of the pitfalls of their local river. Although i've never hired a guide myself i've certainly, in the past, had far more experienced companions roaring at me when in danger of making a pigs-ear of a play - so fairly often in fact! :lol: Yep, the benefit of others' experience can be a valuable thing. I'm fully expecting the same kind of treatment when I finally hook up with veteran regulars on Oregon's Sandy river later this year :)

Fishtales

Other than a salmon, which I lost, I don't remember ever playing a trout off the reel, always by hand lining. It may take all the slack line up to the reel but I always play them by hand lining.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Highlander

If I get a biggish Trout (not very often) & certainly Salmon & Sea Trout I like to get the line on the reel if at all possible. Smaller fish I hand line & control any small runs by tension
between my fingers. Having said that I very rarely wind loose line on to the reel whilst "clamping" the loose line. Two reasons the line goes on the reel slack & if the fish makes a lunge for freedom the loose line can jam up. Also there is a chance that the fish can come of if you are taking unawares whilst you try to wind in loose line & the line under tension with you hand clamped against the rod. Both of which have happend to me more so the latter.
All down to experience, I can control the line reasonably well by hand & if it gets "on the reel" you have best off both worlds if required.
I can see the argument for "not" having coils of loose line where they can get either stood on or snagged up on rock or vegetation. On open water or from a boat should not be so critical a operation. One reason a boat should not have clutter lying about. I once saw a landing net fly up in the air when a fish that had made a mad dash for freedom & the loose line lying in the boat had got round the handle. Believe he got the fish but lost a perfectly good net. You really must be aware of your surroundings & act accordingly to my mind. Fraid this comes from experience & importantly learning from mistakes which we all make on occasion. Sadly some do not seeing some of the antics I have observed over the years.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

east wind

I'ts got to make sense to get the line on the reel if need be. No hard fast rule, make the decision at the time.
I sort of thread the line between my thumb,  three middle fingers and pinky allowing me to keep the tension on both ends and wind at the right moment when the fish is having a think
I've had a bit a success keeping trout on a short line using any reel with a half decent drag set light and a soft actioned rod, with that and a bit of walking to a slow bank, most trout seem to throw in the towel fairly easily.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

aliS

I always aim to get it on the reel but with the smaller fish I dont worry to much about winding in the slack, I'll just hand line it if it has to be that way.

I always folk who's bread and butter is rivers will near enough always get the fish onto the reel where as those going for the Rainbows near enough never bother getting the fish on the reel. Just my observation.

Ythanjoe

I like to get the line back on the reel whether its rivers or loch, unless wading a loch.....for reasons already mentioned and to avoid clumsy foot work damaging the line. A large arbor reel helps a lot  :D

Ythanjoe

How much extra weight does the retrieve mechanism add to the reel Alan? Been tempted to try one of those......aesthetics are a little off-putting but I like as little weight hanging off the cork as possible.... :)

Ythanjoe

Sounds worth a closer look and many thanks for your kind offer Alan, perhaps we will get a chance to meet up during the season when the lochs are fishing better, its been a year or two since I have got out much.

Highlander

" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

east wind

Quote from: Alan on April 12, 2014, 09:33:35 PM
'The line back on the reel' is a frequently used phrase here, seems to me fly reels are not designed to do that terribly well......this picks up whats at your feet in 2 or 3 seconds, about 2 handle pulls, and doesn't need the left hand to do it.....

When I was in the engineering industry that looks like what we called as "a nice to have" A luxury that does not really add to the basic function of the design. I don't have too much trouble get the line back on the reel and I don't cast out too far anyway.
On some of the places I clamber about I don't think the lever would be attached for long  :)

Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Go To Front Page