News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Had to happen eventually, £1000 Trout fly rod.

Started by Highlander, February 22, 2023, 10:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troot

I saw a pair of waders in the angling megastore for 1K+. Simms, of course...I'm sure as light as a feather...but imagine tearing those on the first barbed wire fence...

Its Me

I would burst out greeting if that happened.
      A

Wildfisher

I have never had a rod break on me during normal use irrespective of price. did see one mid-priced Snowbee rod snap but it was not mine

superscot

You can have all the finest gear known to man at prices that would make your eyes water does it make you a better fisherman ........nah you are what you are ...

Sean Freeman

I'm a sucker for expensive tackle but like to think I do alright when it comes to fishing too.

caorach

Quote from: admin on March 06, 2023, 10:21:58 PM
I have never had a rod break on me during normal use irrespective of price. did see one mid-priced Snowbee rod snap but it was not mine

I have a Dave Lewis rod, on a Sage blank, and I knew (via email mostly) Dave for many years before his death and he always maintained that he'd never seen a rod just magically break. His view was that you could trace almost all breaks to the angler having done something wrong. Dave offered a sort of "lifetime" warranty on his rods and so he occasionally got one back that had broken. He would always study them closely to see if he could determine why it broke and almost without fail he found it had been hit with the fly or banged or crushed in some other way. I'm going to guess that very occasionally he had a break due to manufacturing problems.

I only ever had one rod break and it was during perfectly normal casting, I was just lifting off when the rod snapped. I'm fairly certain that I must have done something like hit it with the fly but I never put it under the microscope to find out, based on Dave's considerable experience and experimentation I just assumed that I'd done something wrong in the past to cause the failure.

Anyone wanting to while away a few hours over a wet weekend could do a lot worse than take a look at Dave's web page and his photo journals which record some of his fishing. Needless to say you can't buy his rods any more but it is still nice to look at them and at his images of his fishing outings:

http://www.davelewisflyrods.com/journals.html

Bobfly

I have twice had unused new out of the tube rods break. Both times casting on a patch of grass close to the shop and with someone from the shop each time, luckily. No fly, their reel and line and their bit of wool on 5ft of mono. Both times they said " you would be surprised at how often this happens, we get lots of breakers". They were both Greys rods.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Its Me

I was in the Glasgow angling centre yesterday and saw Sage rods over £1200 but that shop has always been an expensive shop.
        A

Go To Front Page