News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Help with cork handle please

Started by caorach, March 04, 2024, 04:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caorach

As you might know I usually don't spend a lot of cash on my fishing rods as I really like the Leedas or Shakespeares. However, the cork in the handles is pretty useless. I've managed to wreck the first ring of cork (i.e. the one my thumb rests on when casting) on two of my 11 foot rods and it mostly happens when I'm trying to drive the single handed rod into the wind. The ring of cork is falling apart and also detaching from the rod.

Is there an easy way to replace this? Is it possible to get suitable cork rings?

All hints and tips gratefully received.

Bobfly

I have replaced the top cork sections on a rod handle just using a cork from a Prosecco bottle as they are quite fat. You will need to take off the fly keeper and any metal piece in front of the handle, and a butt ring if there is one on the first section. Drill the cork with a drill to size and glue in place then sand to match in. Easy to put the other bits back on.

An alternative is to get some cork and coarse sandpaper or a fine grater and make a wee pile of cork dust. Mix that with PVA glue to get a porridge and paste it on a bit over sized and then sand it back once dried. I also have some handles with self-amalgamating rubber tape to thicken the front as the handle was too thin.

You can buy cork rings from quite a number of rod making suppliers.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page