News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Modern Fly Lines And Water

Started by Wildfisher, March 19, 2009, 09:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Do  they get significantly heavier when they get wet? They will attract a film of water, however tiny. Can this add noticeably  to their casting weight?

This is not a trick question.................... :D

haresear

I don't think it really matters.

You will feel when a rod is getting overloaded in any case. Remember that approx two yards of additional DT or the "head" of a WF line is equivalent to one line weight more. In other words 32 yards of DT6 = 30 yards of DT7.

What prompted the question Fred? Are you getting the old rod frequency measuring stuff out again?

Alex

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on March 19, 2009, 10:06:12 PM
What prompted the question Fred? Are you getting the old rod frequency measuring stuff out again?

I just get the feeling the same line feels lighter when casting on grass- I mean when it?s in  the air, not the drag on the water surface. Might be imagination  though, but I'm not certain.

Rod

Might do if its cracked and holds water. Lines often crack and wear at the point where you normally cast the line from :shock:
Cheers
Rod

Magnus

Hi Fred

Curious thought. If I clean and slick a line there's less drag through the rings so in that sense it feels 'lighter'.

Have you tried Sharky yet? http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scientific_Anglers/Fly-Fishing/Products/FloatingFly/Sharkskin/

haresear

Quote from: admin on March 19, 2009, 10:10:45 PM
I just get the feeling the same line feels lighter when casting on grass- I mean when it?s in  the air, not the drag on the water surface. Might be imagination  though, but I'm not certain.

Could be you are right, but even if so, the same casting principles must apply once the line is airborne (after one back cast). It's something I've never thought about and now wish I could stop thinking about.

Stop messing with my head :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Magnus on March 19, 2009, 10:36:30 PM
Have you tried Sharky yet? http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scientific_Anglers/Fly-Fishing/Products/FloatingFly/Sharkskin/

Looks interesting and that means this could cost me money.   :(

I would  hazard a guess you have tried them!  :D

Are they any good?

haresear

QuoteCurious thought. If I clean and slick a line there's less drag through the rings so in that sense it feels 'lighter'.

It took a minute to realise what you mean Magnus.

You mean the line feels heavier to your hauling hand/line hand rather than in the rod hand? In other words, friction rather than mass is what we are talking about?

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Element on March 20, 2009, 05:24:06 AM
Fred.... you cast on grass...??? :lol: :lol:

doesn't everyone   :? :? :? :? :? :?    :D

alancrob

QuoteFred.... you cast on grass...???

Just out of interest, what flies do you find work best?  :?

Alan

Go To Front Page