News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

Tied a few of these today after a recommendation from a Hillend regular who has had success with them.

Scotaidh

That's a great looking fly, I'll be tying some of those.

lnelson20

Not much time for wet flees these day's but the hillend green look's interesting,must tie up a couple and give them a throw.

Chris.
c.nelson

Clan Chief

These are my recent tyings. These are my scruffy flies which I scruffed up with a toothbrush.

Clan Chief

I met Bob [PA] at my Club's AGM this afternoon and he very kindly gave me a bag of flytying goodies. Here is a fly I tied tonight using some of contents of the bag.............

haresear

Is teal and red allowed Fred? :) Looks like one of that Rossi clan to me.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Clan Chief

Ach! Its aw right he is a cousin twice removed.  :D

Black-Don

A Medley of Muddlers

Skinny Muddler

Pheasant Muddler

Mini Muddler

The top 2 are tied using pheasant tail for the tail together with squirrel tail for the  wing and the last one is tied to the original pattern using mottled turkey and squirrel tail.

Obviously the head can be trimmed as required. I like them kinda big and rough. They're all tied on B175 10's as opposed to longshank hooks. I'll be tying up some variations in different colours but like to keep loosely to the idea that they're supposed to be imitations of small fish as opposed to some of the christmas trees which are being produced with the muddler name applied these days.

Clan Chief

Very nice. They look great. Muddlers work great for me at Hillend. I don't tie them much as I find them time consuming . I neeed to have a go at them again as they are good patterns to have in your box or maybe I should rephrase that to on yer cast.

River Chatter

I've always thought of them as sedge patterns rather than fry imitations.  Guess that's due to the way I fish them.  Roughrigg Reservoir near Hillend used to have a brilliant hatch of giant red sedge which was fantastic sport late evening with big muddler patterns.  I would use 6lb line and still get broken due the ferocity of the takes.  So much so, I wondered if pike were the culprit at times. 

Go To Front Page