News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dseabass

Quote from: muddler54 on February 06, 2009, 03:51:27 PM
thanks guys,  thanks davie, your right the classes are great, highlight of my week
ill download that too davie, 
thanks chatter i wonder too if theyll catch, or maybe fall to bits, the brownies are the real experts though, i canna wait to try them all    mick

no bad muddler55  :lol:-----they might work at aw they rainbow dubs ye go tae as well   :crap :crap    :lol: :lol:

only jokin they look pretty dam good and its a wee jealousy thing when am still payin a ? for three   ---yr right though roll on those longer days --small ripple --fish dimplin the surface

Clan Ford

Col,

Those are some cracking fleas, this is a great thread :8)  Must get tying.

Norm

Harpo

Col, we know a wee stream in Perthshire  :8) where I think that Yellow May Dunn Emerger would do the business, I saw a lot of them hatching in June last year

.D.

Quote from: Crawhin on February 02, 2009, 05:18:11 PM
.D. - You've got to figure that a good proportion of the tails on traditional patters represent shucks and tippet tails have been used on patterns for so long that they have to be doing something right. I just like them slimmer and a little longer than on the commercially avalaible jobs otherwise there's no life and movement to them for me. Would like to see your snowshoe Adams trude idea - go for it. 

Cheers,

Ian   

There you go, Ian.

Fairly typical Adams Trude, though they do seem to vary quite a lot in proportion, especially of the wing. The tails are often deer (usually Moose) hair, though it's not my preference.

The one with a Coq de Leon shuck/tail I alluded to some time  earlier in this thread. Couple of turns too much hackle on that one for my tastes :oops:. Works OK.

Curved hook job (after a pattern I've seen on the internet tied on an ordinary straight-shanked hook by some chap called Peter Frailey).

Cheers,

.D.

PS - I use slightly brownish American Mink rather than blue-grey Muskrat dubbing.

Crawhin

Lovely flies .D. and as always wonderfully clear photography. Particularly like the bottom scruffy-bodied emerger - has all the hallmarks of a great searching pattern for me.

Good shout on the hackle quill bodies Col. some great effects coming out and a useful change from the peacock quill. My first few attenpts herewith:-

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

Cheers,

Ian

Clan Chief

What are the materials for the second last fly . I really like that one . Think I'll have a go at copying that pattern if you don't mind.

Crawhin

Hi Clan - if it was my second last that you were after (?) then it's pretty simple:- large stripped black hackle for the body with a couple of coats of varnish afterwards, white poly-yarn wing tied flat over the body and a black and white grizzle hackle snipped close underneath.

Cheers,

Ian

Clan Chief

muddler54

the one at the top was last years, good fish catcher early on
so ive tried to copy it,   dont know what there called   ill call them green butts

Black-Don

I know some folk will think this is a wind up and phone the Fly Police when they see it but it is actually a very effective fly for larger Browns. Also extremely effective when tied in Olive.

[attachimg=1]

I'm currently awaiting some new materials so hopefully will be able to post a couple of Dabbler's I intend to tie soon.

( I'll need to check out the attachment instructions for future pics as I had to upload this via photobucket. )

Go To Front Page