News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squigster

Quote from: lochgarryfisher on February 10, 2014, 07:42:33 PM
Hello Squigster,
never seen deer hair like that, how do you do it?  Is it a couple of turns of thread round the hair like a parachute post, i would of thought it would flare out more?
Am guessing the idea is the hair floats keeping it suspended like an emerger?
Once i have put the axle back on the car i will be trying one of these and Freds' foam beetle, belter!

The basic pattern I used is in the link below, with the hook being a size 14 B400 Kamasan.  It's my go to dry fly, and the bit of blurb at the end explains how it fishes

http://www.palewatery.com/blog/sparkle-dun-step-step/

Clan Chief

Superb flees lately!
Heres my take on D McP's latest flee from youtube. McPhails Duck Fly
Not exactly the same . I used holographic tinsel for butt and rib.

Lochan_load

Not seen the original but yours looks cracking CC

claytonmcnie

seen davie mcphails video this morning and yours are spot on, was going to give them a go tonight if time allows, but don't know if I have white/light coloured cape for wings

lochgarryfisher

Am running out of superlatives for the flies on here but your duck fly CC just looks perfect, i too don't have any white/pale hackles but wonder if a trimmed jungle cock feather may work. 

bibio1

Mark,

I think that would work well.

Cc, as ever grwat flees.

claytonmcnie

Lochan_load

Again inspired by Fred's beetle and his style of dry flies I've come up with this, not really supposed to be anything particular just hopefully look like fish food!

lochgarryfisher

Reckon those stiff boar knotted legs Lochan will create great disturbance when retrieved/twitched back.

haresear

I've been quiet of late as I'm house hunting for my mother, who is moving back to Scotland.

The standard of tying over the forum is quite excellent and although I have my early to mid season flies already tied, I will certainly be using some of the very interesting ideas that you guys have shown over the last few weeks to produce my own much more scruffy versions.

That last mini hopper looks really nice Lochan_load. It would make an excellent hawthorn or heather fly imitation.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page