News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

Not tied today, but a few weeks ago. I was experimenting with colour much like Robbie. I actually met a bloke/ guide, a few years ago on the Durness lochs who told me of a pattern with a similar colour combination for troot. I was sceptical but he does have an example on his website!

Lochan_load

No reason to be sceptical Allan, yours and Robbies both look good catchers to me. Would've thought a bit duller for the Durness lochs but the trout don't read the magazines ;) orange and black muddler for the Salmon, trimmed all the deer hair below the shank to give a good contrast, should show up alright in a size 8  :shock:
[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

And a blue and silver. I know these are designed to create a wake but these should have their own tidal surge  :lol:[attachimg=1]

Clan Chief

nice muddlers as always Andy.

will try to tie something similar this week while  on holiday  as im taking some tying gear with me to the Caravan @ Dornoch tomorrow. Wife says i wont be fishing . We shall see!

Lochan_load

I'd pack a rod they always give in eventually  :D
Something for the point, just a bit sleeker than the last two. 12 double[attachimg=1]

Crawhin

Nice muddlers - I particularly like the look of the blue and silver job for fresh run fish.

Ian

Robbie

Alan the orange and blue make an interesting colour combination, I think it has a certain fishy look to it.

Those muddlers are nice Andy, as you say they look like they'll shift some water. Also like the sleek double, is the wing stoats tail?

Lochan_load

It is Robbie, the first time I've tied a stoats tail with stoats tail!

Laxdale

These muddlers are just about right. Ditto the silver stoat.

A fly to try putting together is a stoats tail tied on a size 8 B175.
Normal body and tail, with a wing and underwing the same length (1/3 longer than the hook) made of black goat hair. It looks like shit, but the guy that uses it (Ivor Macari) catches grilse and sea trout, more than his fair share, everywhere he goes. It (best description for the fly) is the same shape a tear drop when wet. Or just a black blob thing. Bloody effective though!

Lochan_load

Think i know what you mean! I'll give it a bash tomorrow. Here's a wee stoat variant with copper tinsel and a blue grizzle hackle
[attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page