News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crawhin

You're really getting into those wire spiders Col -very nice and I see they've been producing the goods for you.

Tied a few -

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Peach muddlers and half-hogs courtesy of xxx's superb seals fur.

[attachimg=3]

Buzzers

[attachimg=4]

[attachimg=5]

Gi-normous foam things including monstrous Chernobyl Ants and Green Hoppers.

[attachimg=6]

Some sedgy/mayflee type LS bumbles with pale teal breast hackles.

Cheers,

Ian   

Crawhin

Oops - not "xxx's" seals fur but GarryH's brilliantly dyed seals fur.

Ian 

rabbitangler

Having recently rediscovered stripped peacock herl

a wee buzzer

a quill bodied irish cormorant a la peaty mann

Black-Don

Quote from: Bandy Catcher on June 07, 2009, 03:48:34 PM
Oh shite Col, that's another fly I'll have to tie.  :lol:

Off to Orkney in a few weeks, so I'm tying for that using some of the patterns from the OFTA site. It should be interesting to tie some of them, as many are new to me. An easy one, for me, to start with though - a green hedgehog.

Anybody got any good Orkney patterns?

John

Norski Lad and variants especially at depth on Harray. Might try tying a couple tonight.

Pete

Col what is the tail on that? Like the look of the cdc.  Will give it a try.

Pete

haresear

I really like the CDC legs on that one Col.
It occurs to me they won't impede the sinking rate of the nymph as say partridge would, but will still "fluff up" and be more mobile than other materials when dead drifting. I'll definitely incorporate CDC legs into some of my nymphs.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Quote from: col on June 11, 2009, 10:33:44 PM
The thig i like about them Alex is the ammount of air bubbles trapped in the  feather structure of the cdc fibres when sunk, looks like it could be a good trigger.

Col

Mmmm maybe. I'm not sure about that and to be honest I'm not sure that air bubbles are a good thing for most flies, corixae excepted. Maybe hatching buzzers too, but I'm not so sure about deep nymphs.

I usually drop my experimental flies into a water-filled pyrex dish for viewing from below and the side. Often the hook bend (especially barbed hooks) traps a big air bubble and I struggle to think how that can look natural.

Any thoughts anyone?

Alex

Protect the edge.

haresear

Cheers John. This would be a suitable time to take this to another thread I suppose...

If I had any idea how to split the posts etc I would, but I don't so I'll just start a thread in, let me see... fly tying.
Protect the edge.

haresear

QuoteWhat happens if you stir the water in the dish? 

I get dizzy :)

Nae idea P.A., but I doubt if the bubble would disappear. I'll be (rarely for me) tying flies over the next fortnight, so I'll let you know.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Robbie

I have been meaning to get some deer hair in a lighter shade, found on Saturday that it can be quite difficult to spot a darkish roe deer wing on the water.

Do have some Elk hair but felt gave quite a coarse wing.  Will give the tying suggested a shot.

Cheers,
Robbie

Go To Front Page