News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Great flees Col
That last quill emerger is one of my most reliable river patterns.

Good going Stu, they'll both catch fish for sure. It's gonna be so satisfying catching on your own flees.

Cheers
Paul

Harpo

I was at the Vice again tonight, the Step by Step index is a great resource and has saved me from buying any fly tieing books although I would undoubtedley learn techniques from one.

Rabbitanglers - March Brown Emerger

[attachimg=1]

Col's - CDC, baloon, caddis, leggy thing - without legs & unclipped hackle!

[attachimg=2]

I think Scotfly said that "Macro photographer takes no prisoners", to true, so here is my "Stinkhamer" - Sorry Hans Von Klinken! - Davie McPhail's YouTube Video on tieing Klinks is an easier method (IMO) to Ollie Edward's.

[attachimg=3]

Being new(ish) to River fishing these types of patterns I have real confidence in (foam, deer hair, legs etc) over the more traditional patterns plus they are great to hang Nypmhs of!

Thanks to all that provide Step by steps and photos of their top flees :D

Clan Chief

I too am new to the river style flees. [I'm more of a Loch style man] and have been avoiding tying them for some time, except for spiders.
Here is my first go at a klink.
Looking for help.
Things I think are in need of attention...
Slimmer body with a more spikey dubbing?
Wing post too thick?
hackle fibres need to be flatter?
shorter head?
hackle not so thick?
Any tips on the tying of this style would be appreciated.

Harpo

i'd be happy fishing with that Clan Chief,a lot tidier than mine!
I'll leave it to the much more experienced to comment further :D

Tweed

Nice flees Clan Chief.  I'm no expert, and certainly not on river dries, but on the dubbing I always reckon "little and often" applied to the thread gets a nice slim profile, before winding the whole lot on.  Fewer turns of hackle may make it less thick.

I knocked up a few of my favourite wets tonight.  And managed to just about get the camera to focus on them.  Now to see if I can actually attach them . . .

[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]

Clan Chief

Tweed

Given my new found proficiency with attachments (thanks PaulR  :D ) thought I'd share my first 3 attempts at the turks terantula.

Didn't have the right legs or calf-tail for the wing on the first two, and managed to cut the legs too short on the first anyway.

[attachimg=1]

the second was a bit better and the legs look like they may give the desired effect - never fished one, so wouldn't know . . . yet!

[attachimg=2]

the rubber legs arrived today, so 3rd attempt is fresh from the vice - forgot the bl00dy wing this time!

[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]

Ahh well, I'll keep trying . . .

Please do offer up any tips/criticisms for improving these, or colour variations that may work - I'm desperate to give them a whirl next season and could do with a few patterns/variants that others have had success with.

Clan Chief

That looks just fine to me Mr Tweed.

I'm much happier with my 2nd klink.....
still plenty room for improvement though.
Think the wing post needs to be nearer the eye of the hook

paulr

Your turks are great Tweed. Fishcatchers for sure.I use polyyarn instead of calf tail, it gives extra floatability and makes them easier to see at distance or in dim light.
cheers
Paul

Tweed

Quote from: paulr on January 15, 2010, 01:35:47 PM
I use polyyarn instead of calf tail, it gives extra floatability and makes them easier to see at distance or in dim light.

Great tip - cheers.  I was wondering how I was going to get the calf tail tips even without a stacker in any case.  Do you do yours with olive dubbing, or are other body colours better?  Go on, put one of yours up here so that I can plajur, plaiguir, plajiar, copy.  :)

Go To Front Page