News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

What size of hooks do you use for a UK Turk?, The USA ones are pretty huge..yee ha

Clan Chief

Thanks Ardbeg. I will take your comments on board.

paulr

Hiya Tweed,

Here's my (lazy) take on the turks tarantula:

[attachimg=1]

I can't be bothered spinning deer hair so use a foam head instead, and omitted the tail as I don't see the point in it.They did just as well as the original turks toward the end of last season.I've only used them with brown or black bodies, but I reckon olive will work too, I think it's the general size, silhouette and leg action which is most important.

I usually tie them on size 10 long shanks Stu, and have a few size 8's if I'm feeling optimistic  :D

cheers

Paul

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]

A Mataura Spinner Fall  size 16 & 18 (Deleatidium)

Tweed

Some beutifully tied flies there gents. 

Paul, those turks are crackers, and it's really helpful to see a couple that are proven fish catchers to give me something to go on - thanks very much for taking the time to share.

Fred, love the spinners too although don't know how you manage to tie the same pattern so many times over - something I really struggle with.  It's a nice pattern as well - looks like it might travel well . . . .

Wildfisher

Quote from: Tweed on January 15, 2010, 09:14:12 PM
It's a nice pattern as well - looks like it might travel well . . . .

Designed by locals for  the Mataura River, Southland, New Zealand. Some say it's the best fly fishing river in the world. I've never fished it but will rectify that glaring omission from my fly fishing career  very soon indeed............... :D

Tweed

Can see it doing a job over here as well.  Difficult, calm, summer nights with choosy fish . . . . ?

Fishtales

I did a Caenis spinner like that years ago only in white, didn't know someone had copied it  :whistle2
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Tweed

Didn't want to use the "c" word (caenis, that is!), but that's what I was thinking.  Did the white version work . . . ?

Wildfisher

I seldom  use spinner patterns here thinking a parachute  does much  the same job. That doesn't always work. These poly-winged spinners are easy to tie, but hard to see on the water. I must get some microfibbets for tails if I can ever find someone who has them in stock.  :roll:

Go To Front Page