News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishtales

Not really but the nymph does :)

[attachimg=1]
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Fishtales

If you have an old hair shaving brush use the fibres from that Fred.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Quote from: guest on January 15, 2010, 10:12:33 PM
our fly might be technically perfect but ultimately its a numbers game stacked heavily against the angler.

I'm sure you have that exactly right. There are some 'bunches of  caenis patterns'  going about that are said to be quite effective. The most amazing caenis spinner falls  and boiling water rises I have seen were on Rescobie Loch in the 1970s and on Tillypronie Loch up the road from me. Always during the last 1/2 hour at dusk.

Malcolm

Fachan,

At times I've done quite well in a Caenis hatch. Every so often brilliantly! For what it's worth here is my imitative approach. First I don't use a single caenis imitation. I use a double. The pattern I use I described a couple of years ago here http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6907.0

The other thing is the way I set my flies up it's quite different to how I normally fish - as you say there is an element of the numbers game.

What I do is to fish three flies very close together - the flies are about 10 inches apart and I use three. Usually the bob and tail are the same double caenis spinner but the middle is often a caenis nymph - like Sandy's except the body is palest green madeira thread (I've got some of these tied as doubles too). If it seems that the fish are on the nymph I switch to two nymphs with the double caenis imitation on the tail.

For what it's worth I've tied a whole load of dries this year as mating doubles - not just the tinies - including sparkle duns, sunk abdomen emergers and f fly variants. For one thing I'm hoping it'll mean I don't have to take my reading glasses with me for tying on the 16s.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

QuoteThese poly-winged spinners are easy to tie, but hard to see on the water. I must get some microfibbets for tails if I can ever find someone who has them in stock.

Nice wee spinners Fred. Let's hope the Mataura is fishable if the rain ever stops.

I must say I don't like microfibbets Fred. I have some myself, but I can't help thinking they are a bit stiff. I keep thinking about the ly bouncing out of the fishes mouth. Moose hair works nicely and there is nothing wrong with long hackle fibres.

As for spotting the spinner, fishing them in tandem with a more easily spotted sedge or something would be a good idea. Chris Dore mentions that in that article I sent you Fred.

Quotethere is little point fishing caenis patterns during a hatch. Your fly might be technically perfect but ultimately its a numbers game stacked heavily against the angler.

Yeah, it is tough going. Fish tend to be right on top (just like in a spinner fall) and their window is small. I reckon accuracy is more important than pattern in these circumstances. Unfortunately fish seem to cruise, making the problem doubly difficult..

Like the tarantulas men. They will all catch fish I'm sure.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on January 15, 2010, 10:41:55 PM
As for spotting the spinner, fishing them in tandem with a more easily spotted sedge or something would be a good idea.

I do often use that technique. A stimulator or something equally obvious as a tail fly and the 'invisible' fly on a dropper. That way I always know, at least roughly, where the tiny fly is.  Chris Dore's article is excellent. I'll be tying a few of his parachutes tomorrow.  :8)

Clan Chief

Nice pieces of work there folks.
I'm still practicing these klink style flees.
Anyone recommend which hooks to use for klinks so as to get the corre3ct profile for this style. I used a grubber hook for my flee and I know it just aint right.

paulr

Looking good Clan Chief.
I tie them with a smaller thorax than you have done, but that's just personal preference.
You can buy particular hooks for klinks but I swear by Kamasan B100 s.
cheers
Paul

shanksi

Agree with Ardbeg regarding the Partridge Klink hooks.  The first time I bought some got some size 12's and you could attach a submarine under it. :D  I know GAC do them as well as Klink extreme hooks, hope thier not bigger. :shock:

Ian

Clan Chief

Cheers folks. Kamasan B100 it is . Will post a pic when I get them.

Go To Front Page