News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibio1

WB do you get a lot of bloodworm in your rivers. Not really tried that before, interesting. Starting to  get sorted for the start of the season. Small paras and some grif gnats.

Clansman

Quote from: bibio1 on January 31, 2010, 10:33:45 PM
WB do you get a lot of bloodworm in your rivers. Not really tried that before, interesting. Starting to  get sorted for the start of the season. Small paras and some grif gnats.

Hi Bibio1

I personally have never noticed  a lot of them but have seen them. the guy teaching at the tying nights says that the River Kent and River Eden have a lot of them

Part-time

Tied up a few balloon mayflies with Assynt/Caithness in mind - nice and easy to tie for a beginner like me and so far I've resisted the temptation to put rubber legs on them :).

scotfly

Been kinda busy the past few months and haven't had much any time for tying! Hopefully things are going to settle down a bit now.  To get back into the swing of things I thought I'd have a go at some Irish Mayflies.

Left to right are Silver Drake, Carra May and Unnamed May Fly.

Clan Chief

Harpo

Quote from: Part-time on February 01, 2010, 01:09:48 AM
so far I've resisted the temptation to put rubber legs on them :).

Go on, you know you want to!

Nice fly, haven't seen one like that before!

Malcolm

Quote from: Part-time on February 01, 2010, 01:09:48 AM
Tied up a few balloon mayflies with Assynt/Caithness in mind - nice and easy to tie for a beginner like me and so far I've resisted the temptation to put rubber legs on them :).

Those are very like my own hatching mayfly nymphs although mine are palest yellow and have stretched polythene over the body. They work very well indeed. No need to wish you luck with those if the hatch is on!
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Part-time

Harpo,
I can't remember where I saw the pattern before but I think the rubber leg version may be found lurking in the flee box by the start of the season :)

Malcolm,
I've never deliberately fished a mayfly pattern before so good to hear they have worked well for you; all the mayflies I notice are are creamy white but I'll give the yellow version a try. I just uses the white hair from the edge of a hare mask for the body.

John

River Chatter

Been messing around with some grayling flies today and thought I'd post a pic with a difference.  Folk that failed to get their heads and eyes around those stereogram pictures from the 90s can tune out now.  Here's what you do... stare at the centre of the two pictures below while crossing your eyes (just like Clarence the lion used to) until you can see three images instead of two. Now do your best to focus on the image in the centre. Ignore the sore head this gives you and marvel at the groovy 3D masterpiece before you! This is my first hamfisted attempt at doing this, so it's not perfect... worth a go though just for the hell of it.

Disclaimer: Folk with eye problems, such as muscular disorders, shoulnae play and all participants should know that having a go at this is at your own risk!

Clan Chief

I'm aff tae the opticians if I can find wan

Go To Front Page