News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

Cheers for the praise Scotfly :D
Today I'm still on the micro straggle fritz theme........

scotfly

Nice tie Buzz (as always)  :8)
Looks like it could pass as a buzzer too.

I've been doing some more small stuff, dries this time.
Saw this in Ed Engle's book (Tying Small Flies) and thought that looks  :8) :8)
So I tied a few up changing the body material and varying the  colours to suit my fancy.

HOOK - Kamasan B410 #20 (Some are on Grip hooks too, but I've forgotten which models (#20's too))
THREAD - Gudebrod 10/0
TAIL - Fibetts
BODY - Stripped Peacock Herl
THORAX - Beaver Dubbing
HACKLE - CDC Fibres
WING - TMC Aero Wing.

Then I thought, what about those difficult days?
Wonder if I can tie it on a TMC 518 #32.... Just about!   :oops:

Clan Chief

Smashing flees there Scotfly. You must have a gid pair of mince pies tae tie them that small.

Part-time

Great flies Scotfly.
Having just tried to tie some very simple (black dubbed body & hackle)size 20 flies I just dont know how you can get results like that; apart from using a magnifier do you have any tips for tying wee flies or is it just practice and more practice

Malcolm

Quote from: buzz on February 14, 2010, 10:28:59 PM
I have tied this , simply because i have tied every other olive imitation on the planet.

Thanks Buzz, that CDC hackle might be the answer to a wee fly tying problem that's been bothering me for years. I'll try it out and post later.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotfly

Quote from: Part-time on February 15, 2010, 10:11:37 PM
Great flies Scotfly.
Having just tried to tie some very simple (black dubbed body & hackle)size 20 flies I just dont know how you can get results like that; apart from using a magnifier do you have any tips for tying wee flies or is it just practice and more practice

Thanks PT.
I don't use a magnifier, but I do use a pair of glasses I had made with a short focal length.
There's no great secret to tying small. It's simply a case of scaling everything appropriately, IE; finer threads (I use Gudebrod 10/0 and Spiderweb mainly) use less material and appropriate material, and most importantly make every thread wrap count.

Malcolm

I like the sunk abdomen style of fly with the advance wing style and I've put a couple of these on here and included one in a swap

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6736.0;attach=5363;image

It's a style I like and have used for many years however I've never been 100% happy with them as the amount of hackle needed to support them is just too much. Then I saw Buzz's cdc hackle and went upstairs to try it out. It works great and looks highly realistic. The photo here really doesn't do it justice and I'll be tying a good few of these up in various olives, browns and blacks for the start of the season. Pattern is simple and advance wing pointing straight up the shank of the hook and over the eye then a CDC collar hackle. A silk body to make sure it sinks and that's it.

[attachimg=1]

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Part-time

Quote from: scotfly on February 16, 2010, 01:08:49 AM
Thanks PT.
I don't use a magnifier, but I do use a pair of glasses I had made with a short focal length.
There's no great secret to tying small. It's simply a case of scaling everything appropriately, IE; finer threads (I use Gudebrod 10/0 and Spiderweb mainly) use less material and appropriate material, and most importantly make every thread wrap count.

Thanks Scotfly, I'll try some finer thread but sounds like more practice required

Clan Chief

Tied this today for nothing other than fun.
Picture is not showing the true colours of this flee.
The body is purple ribbed with red wire
Claret cock body hackle
The rest is obvious.............

bibio1

good name and very appropriate. Let us know how you get on with that one. never really used purple flees.

paul

Go To Front Page