News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deergravy

Quote from: Ardbeg on March 28, 2010, 03:02:57 AM

Dirty polly's are possibly more robust but fish in a lowe way; interesting to hear how your research goes this coming year.  Keep us informed.

Cheers

Ardbeg

The mucilin-caked poly-yarn loop looks to be about the highest floating device I've tried so far - whereas the simple tuft floats a fair bit lower, showing more of the yarn beneath the surface.
This is based on my exhaustive research technique of plopping them into a glass of water...

I think the hackle on the dirty polly does a good job of keeping the visible part of the fly riding high above the surface.
For a no-hackle design, the greased loop looks rather promising.
However, it's yet to be tested, nothing curses a fly like crowing about it when it's only just come out the vice!

Re: the DH/CDC emerger - sorry, bit of a Saturday night rambling justification, there! In a nutshell, it's the belt'n'braces construction that appeals here.
That fly'll float like a cork and catch fish, no question.

Black-Don

Quote from: Clan Chief on March 27, 2010, 09:55:42 PM
Tied this tonight for a possible cast tomorrow on a local burn that has had some recent coverage in this seasons report section

Some unusual looking materials in there Chief but looks very " fishy catchy "

scotty9

Got the tying gear out again over the past few days, the realisation of the need to tie flies for NZ and this season has hit home! Up to now I've only tied big deer hair flies and foam flies, well nothing has changed apart from some unorthodox comparaduns and a couple nymphs, tied up with random materials, more to tie the shape than make it look like an imitation, just practice. Got my materials ordered, should be here this week and then I'll be tying "real" flies  :lol:

Here's a chernobyl ant from tonight:

Clan Chief

Not really the tail is partridge fibres, the body is possum. The rib is copper wire and a hot orange bead. Must be the over exposure of the pic that's throwing you.

Clan Chief

That looks well put together Scotty!

scotty9

Thanks Allan, horrible looking beasties but I can now say I have some in my box!  :lol:

alba

Tweed

Aye, a fine looking beastie indeed Scotty - mind and let us know how you get on with it!

Thanks to the replies on my request for river fly recommendations, here are my first attempts at river wets (all 14's).  Hopefully these might give me a chance, need to get a few more materials for the other wet-fly patterns though.  Might attempt klinks tomorrow . . .

haresear

A very nicely tied selection Tweed. Those will do the business when the water clears.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Clan Chief

Those are great looking flees and patterns that I am absolutely certain will bring you success wherever you decide to fish

Go To Front Page