News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Check out the partridge big mouth nymph hooks too, absolutely massive!

Tried some klinks, body was too thick and hackle a wee bit scrappy, will post pics later on. Also tied up a mega beettle, some griffiths gnats and a couple small turks, fun trying to spin deer hair on small hooks!

Wildfisher

Scotty, keep the abdomen  as slim as possible to help it cut through the water. Start with the merest hint of dubbing, barely covering the thread, add a wee bit as you move up, remember you can always put another turn or two over the same spot if it looks too thin. Remember to leave a long thread tag end at the hook point end of the abdomen and use it to rib - opposite direction. I use grey Sheer 14 / 0 fr all flies of this style.

Clan Chief

Folks? Is this McFlylon similar to antron wool or poly yarn?

Wildfisher

Quote from: Clan Chief on March 31, 2010, 06:52:34 PM
Folks? Is this McFlylon similar to antron wool or poly yarn?

It's a crinkly yarn that traps lots of air. It's the best yarn I have used by far. Magic stuff.

[attachimg=1]

scotty9

Quote from: admin on March 31, 2010, 06:40:52 PM
Scotty, keep the abdomen  as slim as possible to help it cut through the water. Start with the merest hint of dubbing, barely covering the thread, add a wee bit as you move up, remember you can always put another turn or two over the same spot if it looks too thin. Remember to leave a long thread tag end at the hook point end of the abdomen and use it to rib - opposite direction. I use grey Sheer 14 / 0 fr all flies of this style.

Thanks for that, exactly the problem! I'm also using 8/0 thread just now, thinnest I have for the time being. Will try a few more later on following your advice and see how things go.

Clan Chief

Cheers Fred! Think I'll get some.

deergravy

Quote from: scotty9 on March 31, 2010, 07:18:10 PM
Thanks for that, exactly the problem! I'm also using 8/0 thread just now, thinnest I have for the time being. Will try a few more later on following your advice and see how things go.

For small flies, you might want to try Roman Moser Power Silk.
It's a 10/0 dyneema thread, completely unbreakable in use.
It has it's critics, being slippery and liable to cut through soft materials like deer hair and foam, but provided you wax it well and take care you shouldn't have any problems.
You will need a scalpel or razor blade to cut it; scissors just bounce off it!

I use it for just about everything under a #10. Makes for very neat, tight flies.

Tweed

Quote from: admin on March 31, 2010, 03:08:43 PM

Tied a few of these today. Probably my most successful river pattern ever - certainly in terms of big fish. Have caught some crackers with it on the Don, Deveron and in New Zealand.

Sounds good to me.  So in an attempted copy here it is. . . . my first ever Klink - a bit on the sparse and straggly side and don't have the right hooks, but I'll keep practicing.  Any tips for improvement would be much appreciated.  I'd bought some Tiemco Aero Dry Wing which I've used as the post - is it any good?

Anyway, off to check on the progress of Masterchef - wouldn't mind catching at least the 2nd half of Arsenal Barca.  Guess who wears the troos in this house - anything to keep the peace mind  :lol:

Wildfisher

That's a well tied fly Tweed, but really  more of a parachute dun pattern than an emerger. The body will be more likely to lie on the surface rather than penetrate it. Tie the same thing on an emerger hook and Bob's your uncle.

Black-Don

Quote from: admin on March 31, 2010, 03:08:43 PM
I have stopped tying off the hackle under the post on these flies and just pull it over the thorax to the  head and tie it off there. Not as neat (as you can see), but makes no difference at all to the fish and is far quicker with less faffing about.

Looks well Buggy to me.

Quote from: scotty9 on March 31, 2010, 06:33:48 PM
Check out the partridge big mouth nymph hooks too, absolutely massive!

Egg flees M8  :wink:

Got some Blue Jay today, more Bumbles meethinks. proper ones this time though.

Go To Front Page