News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

That could work as a suggestion of a Sandfly, Bob?

Alex
Protect the edge.

Clan Chief

I heard a rumour last night from an unreliable source that the Great Red Sedge [The Big Sedge] has started to make its annual appearance at Hillend. This surprises me as I thought the recent weather would have delayed their arrival. Anyway I Tied a couple of these up tonight to fool the fish. Last year I had decent success with a balloon caddis when the sedge was out but for a few years before that I had been using cdc sedges in various variations such as the one above. Hope to get up to the Loch tomorrow evening to try this wee one out.

Black-Don

Quote from: col on May 15, 2011, 02:15:31 PM
Hi Don for the spanflex, tie it in intially at the thorax stretch the hell out of it and  bind it down with thread to the butt then still under tension wind the spanflex back up the body, it should give you a slim even body with slight segmentation.

I'll try that Col, I'd been tying the spanflex in from the bend which was probably causing the bulk.

Quote from: Clan Chief on May 26, 2011, 10:49:19 PM
I heard a rumour last night from an unreliable source that the Great Red Sedge [The Big Sedge] has started to make its annual appearance at Hillend. This surprises me as I thought the recent weather would have delayed their arrival. Anyway I Tied a couple of these up tonight to fool the fish. Last year I had decent success with a balloon caddis when the sedge was out but for a few years before that I had been using cdc sedges in various variations such as the one above. Hope to get up to the Loch tomorrow evening to try this wee one out.

Nice flee CC, try it with a red game hackle and black body :wink:. I tie a similar fly like this which was christened the Black Don by Sandy Borthwick and is one of the most succesful flies I've ever used when trout are picking off sub surface emergers. You can chop the bottom half of the hackle off too which helps with the way the fly sits in the surface film . A deer hair underwing ( below the CDC) adds to the overall presentation as does a nice hen pheasant tail.

Fishtales

Not tyed today, probably some twenty years ago :) I was messing about with the camera and a table top light box last night and used some old flies from my fly boxes.

BROWN NYMPH
[attachimg=1]

GREEN NYMPH
[attachimg=2]

GREEN BACKED SHRIMP
[attachimg=3]

GRANNOM
[attachimg=4]

IRON BLUE DUN
[attachimg=5]

Other than the Iron Blue Dun that is the first they have been out of the box since they were tyed :roll:
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Clan Chief

I like the look of that green nymph Sandy.

Clan Chief

Tied a few of these the other day there........

Clan Chief

Received an email last night from a friend who was at Watten last week. He gave me a list of his successful flees. The doobry was one of them but for some reason this a fly that I dont have in my box. So I tied a couple up this afternoon.

Clan Chief

Tied up a couple of these today..........

corsican dave

tied a few of these the other day... now i just need a muckle trout to latch on :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Clan Chief

A fly I have always had trouble with is the Connamara Black. I am not so good at tying beard hackles and wings have never been my forte. I decided I needed to give the CB a tye and to cast so today I visited the GAC ahead of a trip out on the boat at my local later on today to purchase a Kingfisher Blue cape to use on the pattern instead of a blue jay or Guinea fowl beard hackle. Just finished off tying a couple of CBs and I am very pleased with the result.

Go To Front Page