News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garryh

cheers Fred im off to tie some now.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Wildfisher

Quote from: garryh on October 16, 2011, 10:55:44 AM
cheers Fred im off to tie some now.

That SBS by .D. is a cracker. I haven't seen him on  here or on Fly Forums  for  while which is a shame, but he did tend to come and go.  Certainly more of a loss to a forum  than some of the others  that have come and mercifully gone.   :lol:

I have found the above pattern works well on lochs in size 10 and 12 during the summer months. Straggly claret seal fur (or synthetic) body, well picked out, black foam, white post, badger or grizzle hackle, long black legs. I call it Naiomi Campbell - or just Naiomi for short.  You know - black with long legs?     :lol:

Clan Chief

OK then here is my first try at the big ant thingy , wee bit fiddly and I'm not all together sure that it will stay intact I also used the wrong feather as it was hen when I should have used cock. Not a great job on winding the hackle either but I' gonna tie some more as they are fun to tie. I've never fished with these so look forward to trying em next year.

haresear

Quotewhat lb'edge or X of tippet would you use with this fly?

Col, I would say 4x (6.4lb Rio Powerflex). You might get away with 5x (5lb), but on the other hand you may get leader twist on that thinner stuff.

Alex 
Protect the edge.

Clan Chief

Heres another............

haresear

Very nice as usual Alan. What size hook are you tying them on?

Alex
Protect the edge.

Clan Chief

Cheers! That's a size 8 its a size 8 G point nymph hook. What size is the norm for these style of flies ants/lures?

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on October 17, 2011, 01:43:02 PM
Col, I would say 4x (6.4lb Rio Powerflex).

That's what I use, or even 3x, with these big flies the fish don't seem to mind.

scotty9

Quote from: Clan Chief on October 17, 2011, 07:32:51 PM
Cheers! That's a size 8 its a size 8 G point nymph hook. What size is the norm for these style of flies ants/lures?

Tie them all and experiment  :D (Very nice looking fly btw!)

The fish will hit anything of any size when they are in the mood!

haresear

Quote from: scotty9 on October 17, 2011, 08:16:38 PM
Tie them all and experiment  :D (Very nice looking fly btw!)

The fish will hit anything of any size when they are in the mood!

I agree. It's worth tying some smaller versions. They make decent terrestrial imitations in more realistic sizes like 14s and 12s as well as the fantasy caricatures of the bigger versions.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page