News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buanán

Quote from: admin on November 15, 2011, 01:53:07 PM
Nice flies Willie!  :D

Thanks Fred, I'm getting quite excited about the spiders and I've ordered a few bits and bobs to help knock a few up for next season (then I'll have to find somewhere to fish them and try and get the fish to eat them).

The sea trout aren't too fussy and it's more about being there at the right time. Size I find important and I find anything bigger than a 10 often gets spat out. This year for the local burn I've been trying bigger flies on smaller hooks with some success when theres water. One of the problems I've found with the silver and gold tinsel is that it gets munched up too easily, so I've used a tough semi transparent plastic tinsel over coloured thread in an effort to toughen them up, time will tell.

Traditionalist

Quote from: Buanán
All this talk of spiders I thought I'd post a few of my dodgy tying's, don't really have many of the correct materials at the moment so have improvised, splitting silk yarn etc.

3 black spiders and a red (or not so red) and three flies I tie for sea trout. All a bit scrappy really, any pointers most welcome  :?  

Meant to add sizes, spiders on B170 14 and the others, 10s (1 x B175 and 2 x low water singles).

You don't need any pointers, those flies are excellent.  Trying for the "polished commercial look" is generally a mistake. Those flies will catch plenty of fish.

TL
MC

Inchlaggan

Willie
These will work well on the wee lochans and burn on the watershed, a few miles west of Paddy's old place.
Nothing much above 10oz, but the occasional 3lber.
When you get bored hauling in bandies on every cast you can nip down to the sea and get a few sea troot on an incoming tide.
Nice tying.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Buanán

Buanán

Quote from: Inchlaggan on November 15, 2011, 02:31:11 PM
Willie
These will work well on the wee lochans and burn on the watershed, a few miles west of Paddy's old place.
Nothing much above 10oz, but the occasional 3lber.
When you get bored hauling in bandies on every cast you can nip down to the sea and get a few sea troot on an incoming tide.

Next year I'll make a point of doing just that Ken. I had a splash at the tail end of September, last time I was over, but it only amounted to 20mins on the lochs and 20mins on the burn, caught a few half pounders at each. We took Alison & wee Eachan with the idea that they would walk back and we'd fish, catching them up. As it was, it was blowing a hoolie and chucking it down, so we had to save them from being washed away, therefore it didn't transpire into a major mission. I'm sure if one was to spend a little time on those lochs one could get onto a decent fish, it's a lovely quiet fishy spot, the burn too is likely to have a few lurkers hanging round, especially with a little water. As is the salty stuff, down the bottom, thats been winking at me for nearly 30 years now and I haven't yet wetted a line on it. I'd been trying to get Paddy, the ex apprentice stalker, to get me an introduction down there, but it wasn't to be, Mrs and Hector, the Hat, were well in need of rescue by the time we got to them. Next year ;)

davefromtheattic

Not been on for a while, but I thought I'd post a few of my vice efforts of late for Bushy and I's coming Grayling day. Comments and advice very welcome. Apologies for the poor photography.

davefromtheattic

Is the cased caddis thing just daft?

Clan Ford

Nope, they'll all catch Grayling.

Norm

davefromtheattic

Cool, thanks for the reassurance Norm. I was going for a natural food item theme, rather than attractors (the pink tailed nymph being a backup plan).

davefromtheattic

Chucked everything in my box and am starting again for next season since my tying is better.

Go To Front Page