News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazdidge

I have been playing about with these for a wee while now and trying to improve on my results, what do you guys think? Any suggestions? Excuse the poor photo but I am still trying to get to grips with the new camera and loaned both my mono and tripod to a friend.

shanksi

Have been trying a new way of adding a rib to a tinsel body this week and this is my attempt

Take the tinsel down the hook to the bend and then take the tinsel in hackle pliers and twist to form a cord and use this for the rib.  Means that the body is very slim as you don't have to tie in another material for the rib.

east wind

Quote from: daz on February 11, 2012, 12:22:31 PM
I have been playing about with these for a wee while now and trying to improve on my results, what do you guys think? Any suggestions? Excuse the poor photo but I am still trying to get to grips with the new camera and loaned both my mono and tripod to a friend.

Daz, i tend to avoid tying klinks as the hackle and post are too tough for me. With that in mind I think this is a really good attempt and I'm sure it will tempt a troot. One thing I always try to achieve is a slim body profile.

ps 
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Black-Don

Daz, it's a good effort and will catch fish but as EW said they are a difficult fly to tie.

When I look back at my first clink efforts when I came back to tying they were very similar to yours but had the same usual faults. I hope you don't mind but I'm going to point out what I think is wrong with your fly.

1. The head is too big  2. the post is too long  3. The body is overdressed  4. The hackle has too many turns and is wound too far up the post.

However, don't let any of this put you off as I'm sure it was john Veniard himself who said that "even the most expert of tyers had to start somewhere".

Tying is something that improves the more you do it and with each improvement you see your own faults and correct them as you go along. Every style of fly is tied in a different way and it might take several attempts at a new style before you're happy with the results.

Try to stick with simpler patterns such as spiders and palmers until you are happy with head tail and body proportions then everything else will fall into place. Using the thinnest thread you can for a fly and the best materials you can will make a big difference as well.

Please keep tying and posting your pics as it is always good to see how someone's tying progresses and nobody on here will see any attempt you've made as anything less than what it is and that is a fly which will catch fish and the only criticism you receive will be constructive.

dazdidge

BD the exact reason I posted was to get constructive criticism. I knew the post was a bit long, hence the reason for the extra wraps on the hackle. Looking at it now I see the head is too long as well. When you say over dressed do you mean the body is too thick ie too much dubbing or is the peacock hearl too much?
Thanks for your comments, they are what I was looking for.

Cheers

Daz

scotty9

How much for the lot Col, they are brilliant and I can't be arsed tying  :lol:

Great tyings!

haresear

Those are lovely. I hate you Col :)

Daz , Black Don and Col are right. Just aim for a slim profile on the abdomen - it should pierce the surface immediately on a klink as the sunk abdomen is the big difference between the klink and a standard parachute.
The hackle on any parachute just needs two or three turns to keep it afloat as the greater surface area in contact with the water means surface tension holds up the fibres much more efficiently than it would on a collar hackle.

Got to get tying soon myself.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Darwin

You have been busy.  A very nice collection of great flies.   :D

Traditionalist

Quote from: col on February 12, 2012, 01:16:55 AM
ive been busy in the evenings, prepping for the season ahead, a few recent tyings.

Very nice, they look very good indeed.

TL
MC

bibio1

Obscenely good tying. Better get on the vice ma self

Go To Front Page