News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fergie

Quote from: scoobyscott on April 28, 2012, 07:57:52 PM
Quality buzzers, do you find browns take these ok? I've only used buzzers for rainbows  :crap and enjoy this style of fishing but never give it more than 5 mins with broonies. Just not got confidence in it.

I wondered about this myself .Then seen the results anglers were having on Lough Corrib using English reservoir techniques for the wild brownies over there. :shock:

Traditionalist

They can be deadly on rivers as well.

TL
MC

Clan Chief

I dont normally fish buzzers but have been told I should especially at my local loch. Its my intention to have a right good go with various buzzers tomorrow.Sandy I will tie a couple of those up for tomorrow

Fishtales

I'm not sure if the Grey Boy is about just now. According to my book it should be but my recollection from the loch was seeing them in the evening during May/June. They look like flying commas against the sky and are quite a large fly. I'm sure these are the Curlybums seen on Loch Leven but according to all the books that is a sedge :dunno
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

River Chatter

It's strange how patterns or methods can become associated with just rainbow fishing or just brown trout fishing, despite the fact they eat the same things in much the same way.  I agree that buzzer fishing is often seen as the preserve of rainbow fishers, but brown trout eat these insects too.  And when trout are rising in loch, it's often buzzers that are being taken, so why not match the hatch. Buzzers can work well for wild brownies on my local, which has good buzzer hatches throughout the year.  At the moment the're rising to tiny buzzers well and a size 18 fished just enough to keep in touch with it seems to be the way to go.  Not easy to hook mind on a fly this small... most takes fail to stick, but it's good fun targeting them. 

burnie

During my days on southern reservoirs I used buzzers a lot,with a fair amount of success.Favourite method was a big dry on the point and then one or two buzzers on short dropppers fished in the surface film "washing line" style.You could just let them drift in a light breeze,or if it was calm,figure of eight retrieve to put a bit of "action" in them,caught plenty of brownies that way.

Malcolm

The CDC Buzzer is one of the deadliest wild brownie flies. I've had fish on it from Shetland to Galloway and is one of my top 3 flies. Some of the Scottish Lochs with huge brownies - I'm thinking here particularly of the Tomich Hotel waters have huge golden buzzers that certainly bring the trout up.

Sandy,

The Curlybums on Leven are a buzzer - definitely not a sedge.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Fishtales

I'm sure you are right Malcolm. I remember reading about them in a book and thought 'that's a buzzer' but they named another fly which runs in my head as being a sedge.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

shanksi

Down the Clyde last weekend and noticed a lot of snails in the water so thought I would give it  a try.  Hook, foam, super glue and pens.

[attachimg=1]

Ian

Traditionalist

Quote from: shanksi on May 09, 2012, 07:55:15 PM
Down the Clyde last weekend and noticed a lot of snails in the water so thought I would give it  a try.  Hook, foam, super glue and pens.

Ian

Very good!  They will most likely work well under the right conditions.

TL
MC

Go To Front Page