News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]

Grouse and Orange Spider

My take on the Partridge and orange which is supposed to be a March Brown. I have no confidence in it as it looks too pale and washed out  to my eye. Don't know if it makes any odds or not.

Hook: 12 Kamasan B170
Body: Cobbler's waxed orange thread
Hackle: mottled  grouse feather.
Tail: as hackle

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]

Waterhen Bloa

Hook: 14
Body: Yellow silk with lightly touch-dubbed mole
Hackle: Waterhen - but if you wish to avoid a jail term you can use any blue-grey webby feather - I used snipe underwing

The feather barbules are perhaps a bit short on this example, but it should still catch fish.

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]

Ubiquitous Spider

You can just make these up as you go and they will all catch fish. Like this one: yellow silk body discoloured with cobbler's wax, hackle from a nondescript cheap hen cape like this one:

[attachimg=2]

Found in a bargain bin in a tackle shop many years ago and bought for about  50p. I wonder if you could still find these anywhere?

These are exactly the type of flies  I used 40 years ago on the wee river about 200 yards from here. Never worried too much what we called them. They take about a minute to tie, these are fishing flies, not exhibition flies.

scoobyscott

Fred on a roll  :) nice flies keep them coming

scoobyscott

few from last night, really struggle to dub mole sparingly and evenly, any tips?
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
Hopefully I'll get a chance to wet them on the 1st, thanks for looking

Wildfisher

Quote from: scoobyscott on March 21, 2013, 11:23:24 AM
struggle to dub mole sparingly and evenly, any tips?

Touch dubbing is the way. See this thread by Scotfly

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=11416.msg112543#msg112543

With some tacky  wax and a dubbing comb to remove a small amount of fur from the pelt it's dead easy.

scoobyscott

Thanks for the link Fred and a big thumbs up to Scotfly a quality thread with loads of clear useful instruction. Im working in schools just now so will 'borrow' a pritt stick. Nice one Barfly, never fished the Tay but will keep it in mind for when I do. That ones getting dunked in the Tweed

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]

Hare's ear DHS size 12

No pattern required, probably the easiest fly of all to tie.

Clan Chief

Simple and deadly. Nice tying!

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]

DHE size 12 - for March Brown time

Go To Front Page