News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage fly

Deer hairs emerges, deadly pattern. I've an uncle an that's all he fishes the dry fly n dhe I've seen the catches especially up north on watten and toftingall, he seems to get a lot more bigger fish than us fishing wets.

Wildfisher

The thorax on that DHE is a bit short, but should be OK. Bob Wyatt has changed the tying method  a bit, makes it easier and quicker to tie.  A lot less fussy.  He no longer  ties the wing  in at the start and leaves the cut off ends as a support to help cock the wing.

I'll try one of those next.

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]

Dirty Duster

Another Wyatt fly. These emergers take 2 minutes to tie.

Allan Crawford

haresear

Quote from: Colliemore on March 22, 2013, 04:50:59 PM
My sort of fly !

Mine too :)

On the deer hair emerger, I've taken to substituting calf tail. It is far more robust than deer hair.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]

The DHS-c  size 10

Deer Hair Sedge-cada   :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on March 22, 2013, 07:51:37 PM
Mine too :)

and mine .... I really don't want to tie flies that take a lot of time and I'm sure there is no need for it.

Do you use white calf tail or dyed for the DHE ? JB uses it all the time for his mega-tarantulas. What do you believe are the advantages over synthetics? Tapered fibers?

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]

DHE  tied using Bob's simplified method. The wing is the 2nd last part added and the cut wing buts are simply left uncovered.  This fly can be tied in a few minutes.

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]

McFlylon Shuttlecock Emerger

This one is tied  with dun McFlylon and hares ear. Tie in the wing first, cut the wing buts in a taper, tie down, dub the thread then wind the abdomen down towards the hook point, rib back using the thread, heavy dub for the thorax, reinforce with a  few open turns of the thread.  Tie off. It takes less time  to tie than it does for me to post this, so if you lose it,  it's no big deal.

[attachimg=2]
Gink the wing only and this is how it floats. If it sinks, then just a  few false casts and it's ready to fish with again.

Clan Chief

Having a permenant tying station Fred is paying dividends eh? You're becoming prolific tyer now Fred

Go To Front Page