News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

Those last few flies look like the contents of my fly box Fred - only yours are neater :lol:

QuoteDo you use white calf tail or dyed for the DHE ? JB uses it all the time for his mega-tarantulas. What do you believe are the advantages over synthetics? Tapered fibers?

Usually I use the natural fawn/light brown ones for the DHE. the fibres are that bit stiffer than say McFlylon and so they don't clog together and therefore the fly dries more quickly when casting. Maybe that is down to the tapered fibres, I hadn't considered that.

I do like McFlylon for say parachute posts as you know, but when used for longer wings it can clog together and take a bit of drying. So I find anyway.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Clan Chief on March 24, 2013, 01:40:54 PM
You're becoming prolific tyer now Fred

Like many  artists  I have  to act on the inspiration  before the moment  is lost Allan.   :gay4   Or it might just be I can't get out fishing because of this f*****g weather and I'm  bored.  :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on March 24, 2013, 01:42:35 PM
I do like McFlylon for say parachute posts as you know, but when used for longer wings it can clog together and take a bit of drying. So I find anyway.

That's an observation I have shared. I also think that in longer wings it can look a bit "clunky" because of the lack of natural hair-like taper in the fibers - like clipped hackles or clipped deer hair. I have no idea if that makes any difference or not, it just doesn't look "right" to my eye - it's to do with that hard to define confidence factor I suppose.

garryh

Fred what type of deer hair is that you used on the DHE it looks finer than anything i have.i've never been really happy with my attempts at this fly.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

paulr

Lovely flies Fred. The Waterhen Bloa is a great flee.
Still personally have never taken to DHE's though, mon the klinks! :-)
cheers
Paul

Wildfisher

Quote from: garryh on March 24, 2013, 04:03:35 PM
Fred what type of deer hair is that you used on the DHE it looks finer than anything i have.i've never been really happy with my attempts at this fly.

On those last ones  it's coastal, I got it from Cookshill. I think the first ones I posted used elk, not the really pale elk though. Also elk is not the best for DHS because  it does not flare and allow you to produce  the classic DHS head / thorax effect

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]

Olive- Hares Ear Dirty Poly Emerger

Ties in 2 minutes.

Get into the "Dirty Poly" 1  habit and you'll never have to worry about life passing  you by tying Klinkhamers again.  :8)

Notes: 1 name copyright Clan Ford.    :lol:

Allan Crawford

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

bushy palmer

I like the effect of the hackle. Is that just wound normally and then trimmed at the bottom?

Go To Front Page