News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mantog

Thanks Harpo. Credit has to go to my Sigma macro lens :-)

brown troot

Cracking fly would fish that

garryh

hi Andy that fly with the mosaic, it looks to me like the origional stuff that they stopped making and replaced with an inferior product.you would not believe what some of the competition guys were paying for that a wee while back.believing that if they did not have it in their flies they were doomed to failure, i have about a quarter of a hank left and never used it for ages and i seem to still catch a fish or two.it is lovely stuff when the light catches it though.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Wildfisher

Quote from: garryh on May 24, 2013, 06:20:44 PM
you would not believe what some of the competition guys were paying for that a wee while back.believing that if they did not have it in their flies they were doomed to failure,

If I were you I'd sell it to the dopey  buggers.  :lol:

Wildfisher

I just find this kind of fly  minutiae hilarious. Humans have such a wonderful capacity to convince themselves of anything and the marketing men are only too happy to exploit it. Wyatt calls it "fly tying stuff" implying it doesn't  really have a lot to do with fishing.

The human desire to have  the "magic bullet". I'm not knocking it though, I have two fly rods  that retail at £1200 that cost me £400 as a result of it.  :8)

garryh

Fred one guy actually boasted that he had bought the entire stock of cats whiskers from an Edinburgh tackle shop so he could cut down the dressings and recover the mosaic tinsel.you would not believe the panic of these guys if there is a rumor of a fly doing well with a material that is hard to obtain and they dont have it.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

haresear

A wee aside : On the "must have" materials. .....

I now never use ribbing of any kind - I find it superfluous. I never use varnish either. I never tie to "patterns " either and basically just adapt my approach. according to the conditions

With that minimalist approach , last year I had my best season ever in 44 years  of fly fishing.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Clan Chief

Just seen yer recent flies Roobarb. Those are wonderful looking patterns  :D

scoobyscott

sedgehog bumble thingy
[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

Quote from: garryh on May 25, 2013, 12:09:47 AM
you would not believe the panic of these guys if there is a rumor of a fly doing well

Oh I'd believe it alright Garry the fly fishing world is awash with crap - latest "must have" line profiles,  pointless flies that are so much like existing  patterns they could not possibly make any difference, latest rods, etc etc. Competition fishers appear to be especially insecure and vulnerable, but the bottom line is always going to be the same. The best angers  are successful and  the wannabees aren't.

Go To Front Page