News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibio1

They look complicated but lovely. Lookin forward to the report.

scoobyscott

A few hours spent tying them, no doubt worth it though good luck

shad

Nearly ready for Cuba-

Only some Crabs to do, finally came up with one that's fairly easy to make and I like the look of - fish will have the final say though.

Calling it the Poo Piece , which is a crab sandwich down Eyemouth way .

River Chatter

Very nice Colin... have you got enough pink ones tho?  :lol:

What did you stick the Poo Piece one together with?   I'm always reluctant to use glue on flies that might be chucked at a permit given their legendary sense of smell.  Having said that I've used epoxy on a few.  It looks great btw and should do well over turtle grass. :)

rannoch raider

Very nice flies, I was once sent to work in the Cayman Islands for a week. I only got a couple of hours to cast a fly. I ended up at a small beach at a harbour mouth where I managed to catch a French Grunt of around 5 inches long. Spotted a huge barracuda and had a boil at the lure from something with a huge (10 - 12 inch) sickle shaped tail in a small canal like stretch in the harbour. Great fun and so nice to be standing in the gin clear warm water in your shorts while fishing. I've always fancied having a proper crack at it somewhere. Cuba seems popular. Could I ask what you guys think is the best way to do it? Package deal with flights, hotel, / lodge,guides, skiffs etc all included or do it yourself?

Cheers
Jim

shad

Quote from: River Chatter on October 26, 2013, 05:08:56 PM
Very nice Colin... have you got enough pink ones tho?  :lol:

What did you stick the Poo Piece one together with?   I'm always reluctant to use glue on flies that might be chucked at a permit given their legendary sense of smell.  Having said that I've used epoxy on a few.  It looks great btw and should do well over turtle grass. :)

Hot glue gun John, works really well .Just tie lead eyes and claws to hook then rubber legs can be added on a bit like tack welding with hot glue.A final splodge of hot glue for the felt carapace.It goes hard in a few seconds and hopefully doesn't smell like epoxy or UV resin.

River Chatter

Thanks Colin, tho I've heard it gets so hot there that these flies can melt again!   :lol:

Quote from: rannoch raider on October 26, 2013, 05:48:21 PM
Cuba seems popular. Could I ask what you guys think is the best way to do it? Package deal with flights, hotel, / lodge,guides, skiffs etc all included or do it yourself?

Your sickle shaped tail could well have been a permit!

Anyway, not that I'm an expert, the best way to fish Cuba depends on how deep our pockets are and whether you want to combine fishing with a traditional beach holiday.  The most expensive option by far is to stay at a fishing lodge, as you'll be a couple of grand or more for the lodge, guides etc and have to get our own flights.  You'll typically need to bring your own booze too if you want anything other than the local tipple.  The cheaper way - and my preferred option as far as Cuba goes - is to book a fully inclusive hotel near to where the fishing is and then seek out your own guides, who can be booked by the day.  I like to support the local guides, because they have been plying their trade long before these big outfits got there who cater more for the well to do and are aggressive in annexing huge swathes of fishing grounds for their clients and of course profit.  Seems to fly in the face of the espoused political ideology from that part of the world too.   :?

However you choose to do it beware: this type of fishing is highly addictive and ruinous if not kept in check!  Worth it tho.  :lol:

shad

Quote from: River Chatter on October 26, 2013, 07:01:56 PM
Thanks Colin, tho I've heard it gets so hot there that these flies can melt again!

Shite  :)

River Chatter

Don't go mincing your words now Colin.  :lol:

corsican dave

this:[attachimg=1]

i used the peel-off strip from a self seal plastic envelope (like a fedex pack) for the back. now i'm working on adding some claws and making the whole thing a more chestnut colour to imitate the signal crayfish we saw in spain. i've also seen some very interesting weighted jig hooks that may help imitate the swimming pattern:
[attachimg=2]
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page