News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

ha! nothing new under the sun.... just had a flick through dave whitlock's "a guide to aquatic trout food". sure enough there's a crayfish pattern; dave's soft-shelled crayfish jig fly. he's even got the lead down by the eye of the hook to make it sit up. the only real difference is the shell material. brilliant! :8) if i could find a way to make the claws more buoyant then we'd really be cookin'
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

corsican dave

Senyo's Preyfish:
[attachimg=1]

and hopefully how the fish see it:
[attachimg=2]

easily the most complicated thing i've tied. it's got a weighted, hinged tail (i used a genie clip with a split shot whipped on) which is designed to let the front part of the crayfish float upward as if in aggressive posture. i had to play a bit fast and loose with the other materials too, as i didn't have orange ostrich herl or crayfish possum( :roll:).

i'll bet it's gonna be a bugger to cast!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Robbie

Tied up a few of these:

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

Maybe a bit early for next season but thought for once I would try to fill the boxes before the start of the season.

Wildfisher

Nice Robbie. One of the all time best traditional wets

Highlander

The Jungle Cock cheeks adds a bit more of attractivness don't you think Robbie.
Somthing I do with a lot of my Winged Wets but for some reason I only fish them as a a tail fly.
Does to add to it ? I do not know but they do catch fish so maybe they do.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

I think the jungle cock does help, difficult to prove of course. The Dunkeld  is a great tail fly.

garryh

aye the Dunkeld is a great fly,when tied like that with a palmered hackle.you couldn't pay me to fish one like you sometimes see for sale with only a throat hackle.IMHO it makes all the difference

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Wildfisher

I don't know what it is about orange, but sometimes the trout just want it.

Clan Chief

Robbie

Thanks for the kind comments.

To be honest it's not a fly I have fished much, but last season I had some success using a Doobry. Fancied trying some other flies with a bit of flash about them. Added the cheeks to the size ten flies and like the look. Never really used jungle cock before but I think that May well change.

Go To Front Page