News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Sandy thanks for the feedback, the flies are tied with 'ultra limp' don't know if you've tried this stuff but it's really fluid and light, kind of pulses in the water, tying with it is like herding cats because you try and  grip a bunch it pops out all over the place! we've fished with the mouse type of flies a lot but tend to pick up smaller pike and perch, was talking to the guy who designs pike flies for fulling mill (works at GAC) and he reckons these bigger flies with silver flash are the best he's tried, I'm going to give them a bash and see If we can increase the size of the fish we're hitting

bibio1

Lovely , been on the kates with an orange tag to mimic andys conemara black bumble

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

bibio1

A soldier half hog.

Wildfisher

Very nice Paul. Is that CDC I see?   :D

bibio1

Nope just very fine deer hair and when finished brush the whole thing backwards.

Im trying to take on the mantra that slim and sparse catches more fish

bushy palmer

I've tied a few dozen very similar to that this closed season. It's a fly I only started using towards the tail-end of the season last year to devastating effect.

Those look very very tied. :)

bibio1

I went back to a few flies i had not used in a few years. Soldier palmer was a revelation for me as was a silver invicta. You'll never find out why they work but they do. The black pennel is one im going to try this yearor if you read t&s a silver ribbed black cruncher with golden pheasant tippet. It been around 10 years since i tied a bp.

Wildfisher

One for foreign parts, but also catches on certain Scottish Lochs for those who dare .   :8)
Size 10 long shank. This is a big fly.

[attachimg=1]
Foam Cicada

bibio1

I like it......alot. you can see how that would imitate a dragon fly.

My namesake with a twist

lochgarryfisher

More cracking flies up today!
The posts about pike fly material, i was on youtube last night looking at muddlers and saw the "Funky Muddler", looks like the material they are using... Neer hair and Funkyfibre shed water very easily so went and ordered half a dozen or so colours from them to try out.  Certainly the most life-like imitations i have ever seen.

And the reason i was on youtube was all the talk on here of muddlers recently and i have not tied one for over 20 years.
That was before the invention of youtube etc so i was trying to learn from a book back then, turns out it is not as hard as i thought however i would appreciate any constructive critism/advice/tips.
Am trying a fly that was in T&S in December, p30, not bad for my first attempt but they are just not right, top one is first attempt going down in order...
[attachimg=1]
Other than practice, any advice....?
Mark

Go To Front Page