News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill loch gold

Last flea today

Green/pearly black palmer
[attachimg=1]

Kenster197

[attachimg=1]

Tied a few Kates this evening - there getting better  :D

bushy palmer

Fishtales

That is well tyed and proportioned, the body is slim and smooth and the silver rib is sitting better and well spaced because of that. The finish at the head needs a little work but that doesn't detract from the fly at all. Well done  :applause
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Lochan_load

Got to agree, your learning fast! There's loads of great flies on here just now and that would catch as well as anything

Kenster197

Quote from: Roobarb on February 02, 2014, 12:09:20 AM

One slight worry, have you been trimming your hackles because the fibres were too long? It might just be a trick of the photo but the individual hackle fibres look a bit square on the end. If you have been trimming them you should be burnt at the stake!

I'm guessing that I shouldn't then  :) Should they not be trimmed at all? Before tying or after?

haresear

Quote from: Kenster197 on February 02, 2014, 12:14:34 AM
I'm guessing that I shouldn't then  :) Should they not be trimmed at all? Before tying or after?

Well that depends largely on whether you are looking at the fly from an aesthetic point of view or from  a trout's point of view :worms

It is really just a tradition thing and certainly an untrimmed hackle looks nicer to the human eye.

At this stage in your development as a tier, I reckon you would be best to stay fairly traditional in approach to get a good grounding in the basics, which you can then tinker with or ignore, once learned.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Clan Chief

Sometimes the simplest patterns are the best. Tied a few of these for my box tonight. These are popular at my local. I cant see any reason why they wouldn't be successful on a highland lochan too. Need to try em!

rannoch raider

Quote from: Hill loch gold on February 01, 2014, 09:07:55 PM
Couple of mulraney pig variants
[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=4]

1 of the most consistent fleas in ma box fur years and 1 i wouldn't be without. The 1st 1 is usually the deadliest. Had a few whumpers on these  :D

Ah, the 'Pig' ! Not many people tying or fishing this fellow these days but what a killer it can be on it's day. Spent a day on a small Argyllshire loch many years ago where four of us had two boats between us and for about 4 hours that day the 'pig' was the only fly that caught fish and plenty of them too. I also tie , I think mine is a standard pattern. I'll dig one out and try to stick up a decent photo.

bibio1

This thread has maintained momentum throughout it life..... some brillant flees

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Go To Front Page