News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Eric,  if you have time could you post a picture of that killer blue Loch lee dabbler?  I fancy tying a few of those.

haresear

Quote from: admin on February 15, 2014, 01:08:17 PM
Tied as it is Alex, flexifloss body.

I put the post on first which was a big mistake as it just got in the way when tying in the tail and body. Next one I'll put the post on after the tail and body. Although it looks tricky, it's actually  dead easy to tie this fly. The post is dun Arero Wing a material I am getting to love even although it is  expensive. The curved grub hook makes the curved abdomen sit quite naturally.

I'm a convert to the Aero wing too. For USD flies, I like the Partridge Klinkhamer hooks. I think they help the fly to sit really nicely and very lifelike.
Not teaching my granny to suck eggs, but if you tie the tails in too thick and too far around the bend, you might suffer from line twist. Just something to bear in mind.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Lochan_load

Upside down poly is cracking Fred, looks like it'll sit on the water lovely, do they hook up ok?

loch coulter

looking for opinions, connemara black bumble type,blackpennel bumble and duckflies maybe, be truthful please :roll:

Wildfisher

haresear

Quote from: Lochan_load on February 15, 2014, 05:35:01 PM
Upside down poly is cracking Fred, looks like it'll sit on the water lovely, do they hook up ok?

I've had the occasional fish on USDs and they seem to hook up OK. I try to keep the post very thin, if I use a post at all, just in case it impedes the hook point.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on February 15, 2014, 05:48:43 PM
I try to keep the post very thin, if I use a post at all, just in case it impedes the hook point.
Aero Wing will help with that. It's much softer and more delicate

Quote from: haresear on February 15, 2014, 05:29:12 PM
Not teaching my granny to suck eggs, but if you tie the tails in too thick and too far around the bend, you might suffer from line twist. Just something to bear in mind.

True and having done some floatation experiments this afternoon  I can see straight hooks and tails sit better too. The curved hooks look great to my eye, but I can see now that for this application straight is better.

Bobfly

"looking for opinions, connemara black bumble type,blackpennel bumble and duckflies maybe, be truthful please"

Lochan Load - they all look like good fish catchers to me. Strong profiles for use in a decent wave.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Lochan_load

Cheers bob fly but I never tied em !
Your right tho they look good to me too ;)
Stuck up some close ups coulter and we an get really picky!!

loch coulter

Quote from: Lochan_load on February 15, 2014, 06:57:45 PM
Cheers bob fly but I never tied em !
Your right tho they look good to me too ;)
Stuck up some close ups coulter and we an get really picky!!
if you click on the jpg you might get a close up, i am not sure how to work camera and computer together, i am a wee bit thick but thanks for the comments! :shock:

Go To Front Page