News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan Crawford

Silver Stoat looks perfect !
Don't think I've used Polar Bear ?

Wildfisher

These are the first salmon flies I have tied and are not bad considering that. Compared to trout flies they are pretty easy.  :D

What sizes would you recommend?

bibio1

Allan Crawford

Yes I think they are easier though I some times struggle trying to do to much at the head and didnt leave enough room. I use Salar hooks just because they were the rage when they came out, and I can't remember what size as they are different, my best size is probably a bit bigger than a normal 8 with a body around half an inch and relatively long tail about an inch, but tie them up in different sizes going down to the smallest size salmon hook available, using different types of hair that suit the size, I prefer doubles. I also like the wee bit of flash at the back of the body only changing to wool or floss to build the body up a bit to give the wing something to sit against when tying cascades. Did Cascades last time offshore but this trip I just brought the gear to do Black Pennell's with seals fur bodies.

I wrote the above while Bibio was writing his shorter version, We agree  :)

Wildfisher

bibio1

When you see it on a cascade youll thank me. Its a great fibre

Highlander

Never seen Polar Bear, never mind trying it. Must have a shuftie next time up at GAC.
One thing I find about Bucktail is that it can be too stiff for use in the smaller flies 8-12. Fine on larger patterns such as tubes & Waddintons
Much better is dyed Squirrel or similar. It would have to be bleached to take on a solid colour. A lot more movement with these hairs rather than the coarser/ Bucktail. There are a lot of "fibres" on the market, many off which I have not used so can not comment,some I am sure are very good.
Hair by design so can be "very slippy. Too easy for fibres to pull out, so tight thread wraps are very important on this kind of fly. A locking turn or two is handy to use, There will be some info on line I'll bet.
Tight Lines

As for Flies, so many to choose from but you will not go far wrong with these four.

Stoats Tail (Silver & ribbed version)
Willie Gunn
Ally Shrimp
Cascade

A Salmon in the mood would hit a chanty pot handle but to me at least it is a confidence thing as to what you use.
I like Shrimp  patterns & my boxes are full of this sort of fly.
Orange & Gold coloured patterns predomnate in late Summer /Autumn
Silver/Blue is good for fresh fish off the tide.
The Ally & it's variants were all the range over the last decade but if 90% of fishers were using them then goes to say a good proportion of fish would be caught on it.
Never the less it is a good fly, a modern take on a Curry's Red.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

sewin007

Wee bug bond nymph, maybe get to use it before the end of the season![attachimg=1]

Allan Crawford

Like the hook, what sort is it ?
Nice fly !

sewin007

Hends BL 120 size 18
Barbless Jig

Go To Front Page