News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lochgarryfisher

You must be chuffed with them Lochan, they're lovely!!
Lovely touches as well in your Silver Nun, the jungle cock and that tail hackle.
Your names for them made me chuckle!
ps It wasn't me that came up with the idea of spinning stuff like that, it was after hours of watching the lovely lovely Vokey on repeat that i finally watched what she was doing as opposed to just staring at her, anyway...  the style of fly pattern i believe is called "Scandinavian", ie spinning hair to give volume in appearance but minimal material.

I've been trying to copy a Shad pattern i saw on youtube with Funky Fibre, i tied the ones on the right first, too much material i think, my fav is the last one i tied with the least amount of material in on bottom left.  What a difference a few strokes of a black marker pen makes.

Allan Crawford

I've watched that video as well, never seen anyone else using that style, maybe its a Steel head thing ?

Lochan_load

Bottom middle for me mate, perfect proportion on that one.
Cloaked the tail in grey squirrel, just bought it and wanted to use it but think it works.
Your right about the steelhead thing, that was the inspiration for the flies, the spinning technique is a bit fiddly but I'm going to watch a few more videos and see if I can pick up some tips

lochgarryfisher

Quote from: Colliemore on July 04, 2014, 05:23:53 PM
I've watched that video as well, never seen anyone else using that style, maybe its a Steel head thing ?

Many of the steelhead patterns are tied that way yep, or at least when you type "steelhead fly tying" in to youtube most of the patterns are tied the Scandinavian style.
It seems only logical to me that the bigger fish are statistically more likely to be caught on bigger flies/lure/baits what ever because they dont get big by eating insects, they get big by eating other fish so all the flies i have been tying recently have been trying to imitate prey fish.
The problem i have found however with all my big flies is that they are a pig to cast.  All this synthetic material floats so then i added lead dumbell eyes etc to make them sink and they just got heavier and heavier and na, it just aint fun casting a 9wt all day so after a rethink and a lucky search on youtube my flies now are trying to look big but with a minimal amount of material to keep the weight down so i can go back to my 6 or 7 wt.

lochgarryfisher

Quote from: Lochan_load on July 04, 2014, 06:06:38 PM
the spinning technique is a bit fiddly but I'm going to watch a few more videos and see if I can pick up some tips

Yea right, you just wanna watch more April Vokey videos and call it "research"  :P

bibio1

Some lovely flees. You catching ferox with them?

lochgarryfisher

Quote from: bibio1 on July 04, 2014, 07:40:08 PM
Some lovely flees. You catching ferox with them?

Certainly trying to!!!  Lochan was up yesterday and we saw and felt fish but no fish graced the boat   :(
However conditions were pants in my opinion, too blowey, excuses excuses i know but we were trying to fish from anchor but the anchor was dragging cos too small cos some numpty the other day threw my good anchor over board but didn't think to hold on to the other end  :roll:
Although splitting hairs but very interesting i think... i dont think the Garry trout i have been catching are ferox, i think they are just big browns.  Only DNA is gonna settle this one but just going on appearance they dont look anything like the "normal" pictures of ferox other lochs have.

rannoch raider

Tell you one thing for sure, Mrs Vokey is a lot easier to watch than Davie McPhail !  :D Her steelhead tyings are interesting and certainly thought provoking. I can imagine some of her techniques working well on some traditional salmon patterns. Having said that I think her long hackling with marabou has already been incorporated into traditional 'spey' patterns.
I can see why they 'd be good medicine for 'fish eating trout' even if they do look a bit 'delicate'.
I like your funky fibre fish imitations. They'll do the business for sure.

Wildfisher

A super-buoyant Elk Hair Caddis tied for use with the duo method. Size 10 Kamasan B160 (shank length 12, gape 10). Got this idea from the onstream-guide site, uses Tiemco Aero Wing wrapped as an under body. Seemed like a good idea to me.

[attachimg=1]

Harpo

Nice fly Fred,

I have a few of these in my box, they seem to sink quickly though
Perhaps mot enough deer hair or wrong hook

Like the idea of the aero wing as body

On stream-guide vids are good.....he does like to talk though!

Go To Front Page