News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

Quote from: Lochan_load on November 05, 2014, 08:32:18 PM
I struggle with the restraint bit Fred, my flies are a bit more bett lynch!

I don't know who Kate Mclaren was but she's caught a few trout in her time

Charles McLaren's wife I think, Lochan Load. http://www.anglebooks.com/the-art-of-sea-trout-fishing-by-charles-c-mclaren.html

Lovely flies by the way :D

Late edit: I just checked and Kate was Chic's mother, not his wife.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

The New Zealand tying has now started in earnest.

[attachimg=1]
A flock of sparrows

Wildfisher

Foam Cicada

[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

Fred those flies are a bit crazy but I like em! Still have your Naomi in my box bat have yet to unleash it.
This is the fly i put in the 'best flee' thread, ten minute tie. Great movement through the water.
[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

These terrestrials are bizarre Andy, but you have to remember that in places like New Zealand  there are huge insects like this

[attachimg=1]

Just goes to show that trout are trout, as Scottish fish also take them and there is nothing like that here.

Lochan_load

Would love the chance to try them over there Fred, I reckon they would catch trout wherever you find them, looks like food. I've tied up a wee sparse number here, a bugger to get a photo of![attachimg=1]

Darwin

Quote from: admin on November 07, 2014, 12:04:49 PM
These terrestrials are bizarre Andy, but you have to remember that in places like New Zealand  there are huge insects like this

[attachimg=1]

Just goes to show that trout are trout, as Scottish fish also take them and there is nothing like that here.
Nothing says summer more than hearing them sing, and they can get rather loud.  Black, dark green and orange all work well for me.

Wildfisher

Utter simplicity, takes minutes to tie ( I don't even bother with head cement) and I'll bet it out-fishes most other dry flies on river and loch.

[attachimg=1]
Hares Ear - Deer Hair Sedge (Wyattt)

[attachimg=2]
underside.

Lochan_load

Agreed Fred, got a few just like it in my box, find hackled dries are fiddly and don't sit as well as something simple like that with the deer hair on top, can only float one way!

Wildfisher

Andy, these flies are really just like an Elk Hair Caddis with no hackle. They work well because they sit in the water as opposed to on it. I don't gink the body, only the wing. They can be harder to see though. When they sit low the wing may also look like legs. It's  astonishing something so simple can be so effective.

Go To Front Page