News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

i'm sure some of you were doubting my ability to actually tie "proper" flies (as opposed to sticking bits of artificial stuff on hooks to look like potential fish food  :roll:), so here's a "proper" flea for y'all. the midnight creeper, a frog pattern developed by Ed McCoy for catching aliens at night. you can see where this is going here, can't you...?  :8)

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

SoldierPmr

Quote from: corsican dave on November 09, 2014, 06:07:32 PM
i'm sure some of you were doubting my ability to actually tie "proper" flies (as opposed to sticking bits of artificial stuff on hooks to look like potential fish food  :roll:), so here's a "proper" flea for y'all. the midnight creeper, a frog pattern developed by Ed McCoy for catching aliens at night. you can see where this is going here, can't you...?  :8)
Must of cost you a fortune in zonker strips to tie that Dave.

corsican dave

Quote from: SoldierPmr on November 09, 2014, 06:10:08 PM
Must of cost you a fortune in zonker strips to tie that Dave.
aye, a few less bunnies in strathspey right enough!  :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Lochan_load

Do you not need a beach caster to get that out once it's wet?!!

To go back to the deer hair I like to use coastal for everything ( although I've run out just now) except muddlers, fond it easier to tie in, trim and tidy. It also lies a bit flatter and that makes it a bit better for sedgehogs and wings

hopper

Looked at that fly that Dave and thought he had cut off his trade mark  handlebars.  :lol: I like the different things you keep producing for those toothy creatures.

corsican dave

Quote from: Lochan_load on November 09, 2014, 07:01:56 PM
Do you not need a beach caster to get that out once it's wet?!!
apparently Ed McCoy uses an 8wt! :shock: I have to say I tend to agree with you and i'll be looking to lose some weight on it. i'm going to try a synthetic for the body (like a tinsel) and drop the size to a slightly more reasonable 2 or 4. searching through the materials as I write this! it don't half look like a frog tho' :8)

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on November 09, 2014, 08:15:56 PM
it don't half look like a frog tho'

It looks to me more like the bass player in the muppets.  :lol:

Wildfisher

Unweighted brown wire and haresear nymph. No wing cases or other "fly tying stuff".  By my reckoning  leaving the thorax mobile will be more effective. To be honest I doubt the tails make much difference other than perhaps add a bit of movement to the overall effect.

Takes about a minute to tie.

[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

Same thing with an added hot spot.

[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

One with olive wire and hare fur for added movement.

[attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page